Travel Tip: Watch Out for This New Travel Scam

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Newscience, Oct 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel Tip: Watch Out for This New Travel Scam

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    When someone says you can save on travel IF you pay them upfront, don’t walk…run. Do not pass go, and certainly do not collect $200 and then hand it over to them.
    The latest travel scams out there involve so-called travel clubs.
    In Chicago, a company called Global Discovery Vacation Program was charging people $8,000, plus almost $400 a year in fees. They claimed that members could get discounted stays at vacation properties.
    But when people tried to collect those vacations, nothing was available, or if it was, it was a shoddy apartment.
    In Colorado, Sea to Ski Vacations charged people as much as $9,000 a year for discounted packages. Except the agents didn’t really have access to deals—they just booked on Priceline and Expedia.
    Do your due diligence.
    Check with the Better Business Bureau. Talk to previous customers. If it sounds too good to be true…

See:

http://petergreenberg.com/2014/10/22/watch-out-new-travel-scam/

anileze, SYD, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, the likes of Hyatt and Starwood often mail me offers for prepaid stays in locations like Hawaii. Pay now, pick your date later. We'll even throw in some miles and maybe some rebate on a rental car.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get that from Starwood and IHG as well. They're often for preset properties in my case, but it's always a pretty good deal.

And if I had $8k+ to spend on prepaid vacations, I'd probably sink it into Hilton or Hyatt's vacation business and get the points associated with the purchase myself. :)

anileze, uggboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they tend to be good deals, but they never fit my plans for the foreseeable future. #needmorevacation

anileze, Newscience, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does'nt Starwood own properties in Waikiki ? I thought in my last stay with them in Waikiki, that half the property we were in, was the club, and half hotel.

Newscience likes this.