Travel tax for Canadians entering US via sea or air

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chef4u, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here we go again! Your thoughts? Will it encourage more of us YYZ'ers to to fly out of US border towns like Buffalo and Detroit?

Taken from today's Toronto Star:

Canadians have dodged similar bullets in the past. But this time around, America’s grim fiscal reality could mean there will be no escaping a proposed new $5.50 border fee aimed at Canadian travellers arriving by sea and air.
    Watchers of the Canada-U.S. condition caution not to make too much of the latest irritant to cross-border travel, noting Canada, Mexico and a small cluster of Caribbean states will still enjoy a fee exemption for visitors arriving in private vehicles, leaving cross-border shoppers untouched.
    The U.S. levy— a “passenger inspection fee” buried in the fine print of President Barack Obama’s proposed 2012 budget — speaks directly to Washington’s desperate need for new revenue, analysts say.

2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Toronto Star is quite the rag isn't it? I mean the language they use in that is ridiculous. "[A]imed at Canadian travellers [sic] arriving by sea and air." I understand they need to make is locally relevant, but that is a bit much. I could say the same thing for the raft of fees I pay when I fly into YYZ. They are all aimed at US travelers, but they aren't. They are aimed at all travelers. It does make sense though. Our government down here is in full scare mode and wants to spend money on security despite most of its citizens loathing the whole dog and pony show. We need the money from somewhere for our politicians to play their little games, so if you are flying into the country you are using the resources. Pay for them please. We would love to do away with such things, but too many of our fellow citizens are trying to find a way to make $5.50 an hour and certainly don't want to pay more in taxes.

In the end, $5.50 isn't a lot and as the US Dollar becomes most like the Zimbabwean Dollar it will be even less of an issue.

3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Its another fee we have to pay. It is not going to affect my travel to and from the USA. All this does is adds to the end cost. Ironically, US border town airports have been getting more and more Canadian traffic due to the cheaper fares in the US, if driving accross the border is free then it would be a further boost to US air travel. No?

4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how will this affect American citizens living in Canada. Will the tax be paid at the airport or included in the ticket price. I don't see how an American living outside the country can be taxed for going into their own country. Will be interesting.

6. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a security tax used to fund US Customs and Immigration. It will likely be tacked onto all international arrival fares. And you certainly can be taxed for entering your own country. In fact you already are when you pay the Sept 11 Security tax. This is just a US CIC tax.

7. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, so I fly from Toronto to Ft Lauderdale. $5.50. Get on a cruise ship that goes to Bahamas, then to St Thomas. Another $5.50. Then we go to St Maarten before sailing back to Ft Lauderdale. Another $5.50. Times 4 of us. Yep, that adds up.

8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The statement is travel tax for Canadians, I am not Canadian I am American, the tax specifically fingers Canadians. There is now a travel tax for most foreigners coming into the USA by air it is around $9.00 I believe, I for one have never paid this coming back to the USA from a foreign country.

9. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    The statement is from a Canadian newspaper. Of course they will make is sound like it is targeting Canadians. Journalists do this all the time. It's called localizing the news.