Travel Speakers: Aluratek BUMP -- Any users?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by TheMadBrewer, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried all different products over the years. Had the original Altec-Lansing iPod speakers (4-AA batteries, folded to the size of a hard back book) but they were too large and heavy as I started to downsize my bag (no more kitchen sink!)

I had the original Orbit (3-AAA) which I loved except the controls where crap. You had to twist the top the proper way to turn it on and there was no power indication so you couldn't really tell if you turned it off. The 2nd Gen Orbit had better controls but was just too large.

Then I tried one of those pop-up pair speakers that would stick together with magnets. They had a built in rechargeable battery which was great but the ones I had used a funny USB converter for recharging that was always getting lost. And the cables were retractable (with a spring) and that finally failed, too.

So I came across the Aluratek BUMP line. The have and Orbit like pod, one with a clock radio and a new-ish wireless (but not BlueTooth so you have to use their dongle). Has anybody used them and have an opinion on them? I'm not looking for a boombox that will rattle the windows, but sometimes I end up working in a hotel room and I like some background music or else I start to go bonkers. So I want decent quality (for a portable) for a medium to medium-low volume.

Skyvillager likes this.
  2. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have not tried the Aluratek BUMP, but will add it to my list of Technologies to explore

3. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I went ahead and ordered the wireless version (which can also be used with a cable) and it came today. The sound is really nice and the wireless range quite good (I went walking thru the house with it on). I have a short trip coming up next week and a longer European one in a couple of weeks and that will give it a good test. I'll report back.

4. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an Omnitech speaker from Staples for $9.99 for use traveling (when I'm working in the hotel). Great for low to medium volume, rechargeable battery with on/off indicator, and charging with mini-USB cable. Nice and compact.

5. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two recommendations:
    • For use with your laptop the Logitech Z305 gives good sound for both music and talk. Light weight and easy to pack.
    • For use with MP3 player, I like the Jawbone Jambox (warning expensive). Great Bluetooth connection and a lot of sound from something so small.

6. CrankyScott
    Original Member

Status Points:
  7. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I looked longingly at the Jambox but couldn't get past the price. My biggest fear is I will actually hear them in use and say "OMG I must have those" -- sort of what happened with my Bose headphones.

I had seen the Logitech but didn't consider them because I wanted something that I could use with either my laptop or iPad/iPod.

8. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. CrankyScott
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An interesting find - will look forward to your review. Please include an approximate weight, Amazon shows 1 pound and my guess is that is not accurate.

10. Have a look at Balloon Speaker Store..

Portable speaker