Travel-size products cost up to eight times more than family-sized bottles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-family-sized-bottles.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Holidaymakers who fly with hand luggage only to try to beat expensive airline charges are being ripped off by travel-sized toiletries priced eight times higher per ml than regular bottles.

Passengers flying abroad are forbidden from taking more than 100ml of shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries in their handbags, so increasing numbers are buying miniature bottles at the airport.

But research has revealed that manufacturers and retailers are cashing in on the restrictions – by pricing travel-sized bottles significantly higher than their full-sized equivalents.

A number of branded toiletries sold in High Street stores Boots, Asda and Superdrug were compared with smaller equivalents sold at Manchester and London airports as part of a survey commissioned by holiday website travelsupermarket.com.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's their opportunity to charge more, and guess what, the retailer / producer take it. No secrets there.;)

rwoman and traveler like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. It's pretty easy to find 100 ml-sized empty bottles that one can fill with whatever is one's preferred brand. I personally have soooo many shampoos and lotions from various hotels that I never have a problem with that. I am also not very picky when it comes to the brand (as long as it's not too smelly... not a perfume guy).

uggboy, SC Flier, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing what people will write up as some sort of scandal.

jwsky, uggboy, SC Flier and 5 others like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And those silly liquor minis I see at the store cost way more per ounce than a full size bottle. And a single beer costs more per bottle than a 6-pack which costs more per bottle than a case. And buying a 24-pack of TP costs less per roll than the 4 pack. And the 5 pound bag of flour is cheaper per pound than the 1 pound bag. And the gallon of paint is cheaper per ounce than the quart.

Hmmm....anyone notice a pattern here??

:rolleyes:

Oh, and this isn't new at all. The travel size ones have always been more expensive, even before the 100mL rule.

uggboy, SC Flier, mattsteg and 3 others like this.
  6. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. This is basic economics. Look up price discrimination.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a single issue of the Daily Mail is presumably more expensive than an annual subscription. If they actually sell a subscription for that product.

uggboy, rwoman and traveler like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful product called "TOOBS". 100ML in size. Reusable and washable. Fill with solution desired from your supply at home.

Problem solved or do what HaveMilesWillTravel does (I do) use the hotel bottles.

uggboy, rwoman, sobore and 2 others like this.
  9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, so the larger the size, the better the value you get? This is groundbreaking! #costco

ella, edekba, gobluetwo and 3 others like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also look up costs. It costs more per ml to package the smaller sized products, not to mention distribution costs, including labor. For many toiletries, the actual cost of the contents (product) is insignificant compared to packaging, distribution, etc.

11. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you are a total tightwad frugal traveler like me or want to be GREEN refill that toothpaste tube

and we all know you can bring lots or travel size bottles and tube in a 1 quart baggie;)

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've been doing this for years, mostly because the toothpaste I like doesn't normally come in travel tubes. I don't have the special adapter there; I just line up the two tubes and squeeze one into the other.

gobluetwo, uggboy, SC Flier and 2 others like this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind that that they were comparing to buying 100mL bottles at the airport, so there's that markup in play as well.

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except for deodorant I don't carry any liquids anymore. Pretty much any decent hotel chain will have all you need for "free" anyway. (and the deodorant I use is one that is about finished so I only have to take it one way, I just toss it in the trash before I return home.). I like to travel as light as possible.

15. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same applies to miniature liquor bottles.... beats paying prices at the bar by miles !

Works for suntan lotion too (just don't drink it)

DTWBOB

guberif, Sunshine7 and uggboy like this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, bigger doesn't always mean cheaper. See Myth #1 in this article, which suggests that bigger package sizes are actually more expensive roughly 25% of the time.

That said, "travel size" is definitely a synonym for "most expensive unit price".

In a somewhat related story, I once got a cold in the UK and went looking for a remedy to deal with the symptoms. I found a likely-looking product from a specific manufacturer and then started comparing formulations. I discovered that there were three different packages from the same manufacturer that would all address my symptoms: one labelled for colds, one for sinus problems and one for flu. All three had exactly the same formulation: same quantities of the same ingredients. They were being sold at three different prices.

Bottom line: read the labels and compare unit prices.

anabolism and uggboy like this.
  17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those guys who, if it looks fishy, will actually calculate out the cost per volume. Sometimes I end up with 2 of a smaller package than 1 of a larger package due to the relative value. This works well with cereal :)

EDIT: I also do the toothpaste thing, as well as using hotel toiletries. It's been a long time since I've actually bought shampoo, conditioner, or body wash for myself.

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is widely true. IIRC, the ingredients in soda are the smallest percent of the cost. Packaging, distribution, advertising, etc. are what you're really paying for.

uggboy likes this.
  19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those always trying to cram as many liquids as possible in a quart baggie, since I have some OTC and prescription globs I use, plus am partial to good quality shave cream, plus I use mouthrinse and toothpaste that I like. Luckily, more and more airports worldwide seem to have stopped being as insistent regarding liquids, allowing them to stay in a suitcase and not caring if there are two quart bags rather than three. Other airports are still a pain, though (LHR seems to be one of the worst).

uggboy likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Remember that meds can be in a separate bag and aren't necessarily subject to the same restrictions.

uggboy likes this.
  21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does pay to be observant. I think sometimes retailers and manufacturers play on the assumption that bigger equals cheaper to fool us into paying more than we have to.

I find the price-per-unit section of the price tags on grocery shelves very useful, and sometimes quite revealing, especially when comparing comparable products in different sized packages.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like my penchant for carrying hummus, pudding, and (most recently) yogurt containers through as medical liquids.

anabolism, uggboy and YULtide like this.
  23. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use hotel toiletries, and my dentist gives me extra sample sizes of toothpaste (brand I prefer luckily) so I don't need to buy small size. I have a larger-than-100ml tube of hand lotion that I include in my bag that has Rx and other OTC drugs that has so far been completely overlooked.

YULtide and uggboy like this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do take full advantage of this, but it is very U.S.-specific. In LHR, they've confiscated saline and other lens care bottles, as well as prescription liquids. Depending on which LHR agent looks at them, they may say they're fine, or that meds in excess of 100 ml or one 1-litre bag are OK, or almost anything. My favorite was when a LHR agent said she had to confiscate a bottle of lens solution "because it was less than 100ml" with the explanation that if it was larger then she could let it through under the medications rule, but since it was smaller it had to be inside the single bag. :rolleyes:

Even in the U.S., occasionally an agent will argue that something isn't a medication. I used to carry a prescription from my periodontist for OTC mouthwash to show that, yes, I really did need to carry it.