Travel Sites - trustworthy?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kitkatjam235, Mar 25, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. kitkatjam235

kitkatjam235 Member

Status Points:
    I am booking a flight from USA to Tanzania. I typically use Expedia, but after searching around, have noticed some pretty terrible reviews - trustpilot.com gives them only one star.
    I started looking at flights on lonelyplanet (through skyscanner) and some of the booking sites that came up were "Travel2Be", "FareDepot", and "Vayama". The prices offered by these sites are around $900 while elsewhere can be upwards of $1200. Obviously, I'd prefer to stick with the cheaper price, but I'm not willing to gamble my ticket away in an attempt to save a few hundred bucks.
    I searched the above three travel sites, and trustpilot gives them all higher ratings than Expedia. However, I'm still concerned about using any of them because now I'm completely paranoid. Are there any I should DEFINITELY not use, or is it just a risk no matter what site? The flight out there will take more than one airline, so I'm not sure how to get a ticket without using a site like these.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked tickets on Expedia before and never had any issue. It's a major company, it's a leader in the online travel agency space, and the tickets I've booked through them have always been properly issued and never had a problem. I wouldn't even think to check online reviews in a case like this, though, and if I did, I'm not sure how much value I'd place in them, since reviews can be highly subjective, and skewed by the fact that one angry customer often screams a lot louder than several hundred satisfied customers.

Also, you mention that you typically use Expedia, and I take it you haven't had a problem with them. So, why are you worrying about what other people say? Go with your own experience, and if you find the best price there, then I would book it there.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I just realized I misunderstood your original post and thought you were worrying about booking with Expedia.

I can't answer to the quality of some of the sites you've listed, as I've never booked with any of them, but I've heard some mixed things from friends about Vayama. However, those were also in cases where they were dealing with things like fuel dumps or mistake fares. If what you're booking is a normal, published fare, and you're not trying to game the system, then I suspect you'll be just fine.

I've been to Tanzania, so if you have any destination-specific questions, I'm happy to answer.

4. map

map Member

Status Points:
    I used to work for Expedia in Australia and I can tell you that at least there a) it's reliable 2) many issues are created by people not paying attention - and these are the ones that tend to scream the loudest 3) and just like with any website, sometimes there are glitches, etc and these would be dealt with.

I used a site I had never heard of (Book Airfare) for recent flights to Europe and everything was just fine.

misman likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like other have said Expedia is fine. Its one the leaders in the OTA market. Most of the complaints will be from people who don't read thes that Expedia passes through (bags, seats, etc...)

As for other OTA I would be okay with using them as long as you have a CC with good benefits. They're all just buying the ticket from the airline anyways so when you get the confirmation from the OTA immediately go to the airline in question and check your PNR. If everything looks fine from the PNR you should be fine, if not you should contact the OTA/Airline immediately.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the OTA; not all work that way. If they don't there are bigger risks and you potentially won't know until it is too late. But, for the vast majority, it is no big deal.