Travel often? You’ll be hacked, warns IT security firm

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.emirates247.com/business...ed-warns-it-security-firm-2013-05-03-1.505006

The CEO of a leading online privacy and security company has warned that the threat of cyber attacks is greater than ever for Mena’s always-online travellers.

Speaking on the eve of the 20th anniversary edition of the Arabian Travel Market (ATM), AnchorFree’s David Gorodyansky described how a new era of mobile-empowered tourism, coupled with the constant demand for social and business connectivity, is exposing unwitting travellers to the dangers of identity theft, spam and malware attacks.

“Whether departing for business or pleasure, today’s travellers find it increasingly difficult to switch off,” said Gorodyansky.

“Mobile technology is fundamentally changing the way we vacation. You no longer need bulky maps, guides, phrasebooks, or even travel agents to book flights and accommodation. You can do all of that on your smartphone. But while app-assisted tourism is great for convenience, it can make us vulnerable. In particular, there is a worrying trend of escalating, unprotected use of wi-fi hotspots in places like airports or cafés, which can make you vulnerable to all kinds of cyber risks.”

Gorodyansky’s comments are timely given that this year’s ATM will feature its strongest-ever technology focus yet. A segment of the show dedicated to the digital technologies in the travel industry has grown 34 per cent since last year.

Read More: http://www.emirates247.com/business...ed-warns-it-security-firm-2013-05-03-1.505006

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to connect through a secure air card years ago, but I don't have it anymore. On a recent layover at TPA I checked my email because I was waiting for something. By the time I arrived home, my email address was sending out spam. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it's made me think twice about using the wi-fi.

Tenmoc likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and MSYgirl like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and sobore like this.
  5. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does the vpn do to speed? This just points the way to using a personal hotspot instead of wifi. Same speed cri mps yes, but more secure.

Tenmoc and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether your personal hotspot is in your pocket, or in the handbag, it is the wifi connection to your hotspot that is open to sniffing. Encrypted VPN tunnel whether to your personal hotspot, or airport/cafe/ wifi ensures a modicum of security.

If your ipad/tablet is 3G, then it is slightly better equipped against sniffing.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on your VPN provider. The encryption takes some processing and your data has to travel further, but a good VPN provider will be pretty fast and and unless your device is very underpowered (unlikely) you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The WiFi on most personal hotspots is encrypted by default. If it's not, do so. Just make sure you use something like WPA or WPA2 for encryption. WEP is useless.

Tenmoc and anileze like this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. You'd be surprised how minimally secure (or open) most of these hotspots are. People do not want to be bothered. :(

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you're on an unencrypted wifi network, very few services these days are unencrypted. Even google search is HTTPS. I can't imagine anyone uses POP3 on 110 any more. That said, when I'm travelling I ssh into a VPS and forward all web traffic over it.

bigx0, Tenmoc and anileze like this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely.

I was at a christmas party at a semi family member's house and just decided to see what was what.

A fun evening ensued. :D

It shocks me how many people don't secure their wifi, or worse don't put a pin/password on the screen lock of their phone because they don't want to be bothered.