Travel jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kmann31, May 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kmann31

kmann31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see so many comments on the boards of people talking about traveling for work, so I'm curious-what types of jobs do you all have that allow you to travel and rack up miles and points?

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had one business related trip in the last ten years or so that took me further than driving or train distance.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown on company business twice since I started working here. :oops:

4. ShadoWing

ShadoWing Active Member

Status Points:
    Management Consultant on the business side of a large IT firm. In Financial Services industry so I get to fly to a bit larger cities, and ironically, haven't really had too many projects where I live, NYC

Kalboz likes this.
  5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I work for Amtrak in on board service so my non is 100% travel. I have flown for them numerous times to replace people who got sick on the road or when there are service disruptions, but it's not all that common anymore.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Electronic medical record consultant. (Clinical) I go wherever the business is. I don't ever work locally.

Kalboz, blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally don't travel for work (life-time business travel is probably less than 60k BIS... one of these days I'll actually add it up). And I am glad that I don't have to be on the road all the time.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan and oversee destination weddings which is 100% travel...in fact sitting in Tuscany now waiting for my clients to arrive and then on to Paris for another wedding. Lucky this time to have the dates work out for only 1 trip and not 2.

Kalboz, IDGflygirl and WilliamQ like this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an amazing job! (At least, if you like the kind of people who have destination weddings!). Also, explains your screen name.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ya NO - you couldn't pay me enough to work with these people...no way no how. Unfortunately their wedding is the same day as my Paris couple and we're just hoping His & Her Highness don't spoil our plans.

Edit to add: I see they moved their plans to Florence. A month ago they were to wed in Paris, which isn't legal anyway. My bride is going to be so happy she doesn't have to worry about their paparazzi. Happy Face Happy Face :):)

IDGflygirl, WilliamQ and Betty Boop like this.
  12. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you multilingual?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

FetePerfection likes this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice job! Are you self employed?

14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your job is so amazing! You get to plan the starting chapters of two individuals' new stage in life coupled with traveling around the country. (I like traveling) But I can also imagine the stress in ensuring everything goes right for the couple's biggest moment of their lives. :)

15. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I get by with just enough knowledge of many languages to confuse the locals. I find myself speaking French, Spanish and Italian with a little Portuguese thrown in, all in the same sentence. YIKES!

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    IDGflygirl and Betty Boop like this.
  16. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most destination couples are laid back and love traveling themselves so they understand the delays and problems that can arise. I tell them to take a chill pill and let me deal with it. I hope I don't jinx myself but I can't think of any major problems I've encountered in all my miles of travel for weddings. Losing my iPhone this trip is probably the most expensive problem so far.
    I did have a bride leave her wedding dress onboard the aircraft, after forgetting it at home in a blizzard. They'd arrived to the airport only then realizing she left it at home. They went back, picked up the dress, hurried as fast as one can in a blizzard, elbowed everyone in the security line to make their flight just before the boarding doors closed. We relaxed and enjoyed the trip but as she was getting off the plane, I asked where her dress was...oops onboard... so from then on I took charge of her dress. They're still happily married :)

IDGflygirl and WilliamQ like this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but it can be stressful. I work contracts, sometimes via a 3rd party.

18. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to read that somewhere someone is worse than my wife! ;)

FetePerfection likes this.
  19. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My job involves minor amounts of travel compared to many on here I'm sure. I'm a Loss Control Director for a Nonprofit company. I've also worked with public entities and with regular insurance carriers in the past. I fly from the Midwest to SFO, SJC a few times a year, Chicago and various other places. I put in a lot of miles on the ground in my Volvo :)
    I wish I had a job that involved a little more travel and maybe more international travel than I do.

20. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess if I wanted to get a job where they pay for my travel I'm supposed to know something? Is that the way it works?

Bummer.

free101girl and FetePerfection like this.
  21. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suspect there's some who fly by the seat of their pants, so knowledge isn't necessarily important :)

IDGflygirl and bigx0 like this.
  22. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, in that case count me in ;).

Actually, I'm a techie who can solve and do almost anything technical. From setting up my mother's corded phone (yeah, amazing) to server rooms and complete Point of Sale installations. But there are a lot of us around. Not much need to travel.

23. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it depends on your objectives. My job is near-perpetual travel. But my points/miles go to my employer. So if you want to travel for the enlightenment, for the opportunity to meet people and experience other cultures, you'd be happy here. If you're just grubbing for free points, status and upgrades...

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  24. kmann31

kmann31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. I love hearing all of these stories. I am a stay at home mom currently, so unless we are talking trips to the grocery store-I'm pretty darn limited. But I love to travel and would enjoy one day finding a job that would allow me to travel and work in different environments!

kenbo likes this.
  25. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    My condolences.

uggboy and kenbo like this.