Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by KyRoamer, Mar 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    At my age I don't buy green bananas so travel insurance is a given. Waiver of pre-existing conditions is a must. Primary vs Secondary coverage is to be preferred. How best to shop?

I use www.insuremytrip.com for quotes and usually go with Travelex Select as it is both low cost and has primary coverage on property losses and medical. To get a waiver of pre-existing conditions though, I have to buy it within 21 days of making my initial deposit. If I later cancel the trip and get my costs refunded, the premium is lost.

I booked a cruise for next year and have until April 2012 to change my mind and get my deposit back. My travel agent said that she had a special deal with Access America where until final deposit date (April 2012) I did not have to buy the insurance and that when I did, pre-existing conditions would be waived. I checked elsewhere and found Access America has a 14 day buy requirement, but my agent (a major cruise agency) confirmed in writing that I did not have to buy for over a year.

Now I do not love the Access America policy but the flexibility of waiting outweighs for me the secondary coverage issue. Does anyone know of other sources where you can get a waiver of pre-existing conditions on a policy bought more than 21 days after the initial deposit but before the final payment? If so, please share the name of the insurer and agent.

2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have had good luck with Travel Guard. i dont know their policy on pre-existing conditions though, but ISTR using them for a family cruise just after my son recovered from a serious back injury. i think most insurance companies, for pre-existing, do keep the premium or part of it. small price IMO to pay in order to get cost of cruise and other fees reimbursed. YMMV

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but to wait until 60 day before the cruise before paying the premium is worth a lot. This is what was unique about the cruise agents deal.

4. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a bit of advice with the Pre-existing condition clause. They will not pay for a Pre-existing condition if you have been treated or diagnosed within a 120 day of when you purchased the trip. I had Accessamerica insurance and a Pre-existing condition and they did pay but I went through a lot of rigamarole. The most important thing is that you had to be fit to go the day you purchased the trip.

5. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used TravelEx, Access America, and now American Express's premium travel insurance for Platinum / Centurion card holders ($13/month / couple). Pretty great deal -- not sure about pre-existing conditions but a heck of a deal.