Travel Insurance Suggestions

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by cmj542, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling abroad for 2 months and visiting multiple countries (France, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand). I bought my main flight from the US for first class through US Airways with 120,000 miles and paid for other smaller flights/trains using my credit card (Priority Club Visa, etc). Half the hotels I am staying in I used points + cash options for Priority club, and the other half I am staying in hostels/hotels I paid in cash. I'm looking to pay (hopefully) not more than $300 for the travel insurance.

So my questions are:

1. insuremytrip.com, international SOS, etc. require a primary destination and/or a total cost. I'm only staying in each country for 5-6 days max. What do I put as my primary destination? Also, since so much of what I'm doing is paid for by points, what do I put as the total cost?

2. worldnomads.com was the one I used to use for my trips. However, I just noticed that it really doesn't cover too much. It has a low ($500 max coverage) for stolen/lost computer and photo equipment, and my camera easily exceeds that. There's also only a $100 per day benefit for travel delay. Does anyone have any suggestions for travel insurance that provides better benefits than this?

3. My priorities for travel insurance are: 1) Emergency Medical 2) Trip Delay/Cancellation and 3)Stolen Items (bringing my macbook and my camera). Global Travel Shield seems like a decent deal ($361 for classic coverage) but in the fine print it says that Emergency Medical and Dental and Emegency Medical is only provided for the first 31 days of the trip. Is there anything that is around the same price that goes longer?

I would definitely appreciate any input y'all can provide. Any suggestions or any previous good experiences with any travel insurance companies? Thanks!

savydog likes this.
  2. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the website. I just used it today to purchase insurance for an upcoming trip to China.

4. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to piggyback on your thread but I recently did buy travel ins.for a domestic ticket (just in case I wasn't able to go and have to cancel) anyways my original flight was cancelled but they rebooked the airline rebook me on another flight, so since I had bought ins. Should I bring it up to them and get something out of it or just forget about it since the airline did got me home on another flight

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you got home anyways then odds are the insurance doesn't provide you with any benefits. But it would depend on the plan you bought.

daninstl likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both mattyb1 and Jeany83 are spammers, with one post on insurance topic... Maknguyenk also appears to be a spammer with three low content comments and one set of links to a visa company...

Espan and daninstl like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually rely on credit card insurance coverage plus if it's a big trip I will buy from a reputable company after searching several comparison sites. You can also get an annual policy that may not be that bad of a price either.

iolaire likes this.
  8. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I used Travel Guard throught Costco. The price seemed right and what I liked the most was the coverage began as soon as I bought it. Meaning it covered anything that delayed or canceled my trip, even jury duty. It was referred to as door to door coverage. It was a releaf to know anything that happened I was covered.

9. StanW314

StanW314 Active Member

Status Points:
    Since some credit cards now provide insurance up to $10,000 this seems like a good option in comparison to paying 10% or more . However, what experiences have you or any other readers had in collecting the insurance from the credit card companies?