Travel insurance - emergency assistance plus - NAY?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by estnet, Sep 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received a notice (with offer of 1k US miles which is pretty irrelevant) for this insurance which (maybe) covers emergency evacuation, and a few other things. The price (per year) seemed quite low compared to other insurance of this type (and they list one rate others have different rates dependent on age). an internet search didn't turn up much except that until now it seems to have been advertised mostly to RV groups.
    So if it seems to good to be true is it? All the other insurance I have looked at list the policy terms online BUT EA will NOT provide the terms unless you sign up and pay for a year - with the option to cancel within 30 days if you don't like the terms! I confirmed this by calling and was told that there is NO WAY to see the actual policy before purchase.
    So, maybe they don't provide emergency evacuation if you are outside the US or ?????????
    All in all I find the refusal to provide terms before paying suggestive of a scam (or what are they hiding). Anyone with experience with this company?

iolaire likes this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it does have a 30 day money back clause. Use a credit card to pay to leverage on the money back clause.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    But my point is that if it is a legitimate company why won't they disclose the policy (like all the other companies I have been looking at do) without having to go through the hassle of hoping their 30 day money back is for real?

iolaire and blackjack-21 like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any travel insurance that we've taken out over the years always let us read their terms and limits before purchase. Not completely as I found out after purchasing it, when about fifteen pages then printed out, but nothing much different from what their website inititially showed, just in more "legalese" terms. Seems strange that the policy you're being offered isn't dependent on someone's age, I've never seen that before, and it would make me hesitate, as any travel policy we've gotten is ALWAYS affected by the traveler's ages and length of trip at the time, which determines the rates.

iolaire likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    If all you're looking for is evacuation coverage, you might consider joining Divers Alert Network. It's a scuba diving safety group, and its $35/year basic membership includes evacuation coverage whether you're on a drive trip or not. They offer other travel insurance and dive accident insurance programs, but the bargain is the evacuation coverage.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think this is a violation of insurance laws in many states. Insurance is highly regulated,I doubt most allow sales without disclosing the terms.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, though be careful reading the terms. It has changed dramatically for me in the past ~5 years and not for the better.

estnet likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.naic.org/documents/consumer_alert_understanding_your_ins_policy.htm
    Contact your state insurance department if you have questions regarding your policy or if you are having difficulty obtaining a copy of your policy from your insurance company. You may link to your state insurance department’s Web site by visiting www.naic.org. Click on NAIC States & Jurisdictions to find your state insurance department’s Web site.

MX likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't paid yet then you don't have a policy so you don't really have a stake based on that statement.

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it hard to believe they can sell a policy without allowing you to see it prior to the sale.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't credit cards do that all the time?

(And yes, it surprises me, too)

iolaire likes this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not anymore. If you could name even one card for which the terms are not available, I'd be surprised. Many of my recent card apps actually required that I read fairly detailed terms before clicking the "submit" button.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will definitely look in to the Divers plan (I actually do dive, but didn't realize I might be able to get evac. insurance for non dive issues).
    So - the interesting thing about this insurance solicitation is it was sent with my US mileage number and of pressure/warning language "issue to you guaranteed" "mail within 10 days to qualify", etc. I'm not going to trust my life to a company that seems this sketchy, but I hope others take this as a "buyer beware".
    As I get older I am interested in finding an annual policy for emergency evac. in case of serious illness/injury in a third world country. I otherwise have adequate medical coverage so that is not an issue. I have even considered getting the amex plat. just for the coverage but I am trying to find something less than $450/yr.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read about it in a recent credit card thread in another forum; I haven't applied for cards in over a year, so no current personal experience.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use International SOS at work, but it's pricey -- around $1,200 a year for two parents with a child. They do support multiple trips and have an aggregate limit of $1 million for claims that include emergency evacuation, emergency message transmission and emergency cash advances. That also includes repatriation when needed, and accommodations / transportation for family members (in case they need to come join you or get out of town).

They also offer "specialty" services like embassy / local law enforcement liaison in the event that there's a threat to your safety. My understanding is that some of their more VIP services also include providing "travel safety personnel" and non-medical evacuations.

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    International SOS seems to be through companies (not for individuals and a bit overkill for my needs anyway I think).
    Still trying to get the details on DAN divers membership coverage- so far this looks like the best bet.
    I'm trying to find a plan that basically covers emergency evac services if needed either to (from overseas if necessary) home or to a more acceptable facility (eg Vietnam to Singapore) - if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I purchased insurance via the search engine https://www.squaremouth.com

It allowed me to include preexisting conditions.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  18. scotadot

scotadot New Member

Status Points:
    I just received the same offer. I've been looking for something like this, but like you, I think it may be too good to be true. I'm wondering if United is really vetting it...did you by chance look into that? Does sound like sleazy marketing moves, but I'm intrigued anyway. I may just pay the money and get the full policy.

19. scotadot

scotadot New Member

Status Points:

20. scotadot

scotadot New Member

Status Points:
    I just received the same offer. I agree, I smell a rat here. But its so cheap I may just pay and get the full policy in the mail so I can assess it. I"m wondering if it is true that United is backing it...would make me feel a bit better if I knew that that part was true...any idea?

21. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think United is "vetting" it or has anything to do with it other than making money by selling its customer list to the company (but I could be wrong ;) )

22. Savytraveler

Savytraveler New Member

Status Points:
    I received this offer last week and was skeptical about the value. I found that to obtain more info I needed to subscribe and pay $149. I did and found as most folks thought ... it does not appear to have much value. The words ... help and assist show up a lot. They will not be responsible for any costs or expenses arising from hospital or medical expenses of any kind or nature. You pay and they will assist you. There are some definite benefits for a major catastrophic event. I think I will cancel and rely on purchasing regular travel insurance per trip.

estnet likes this.
  23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking "one for the team" Oh - and welcome and great contribution for first post ;)

24. CHARLEST

CHARLEST New Member

Status Points:
    So maybe the insurance is for logistical needs when travelling and you rely on your own med insurance to cover some limited emergency services on the road and domestic med costs after the Emergency Assistance gets you home. If I'm on a river cruise in Russia and fall ill. Maybe I need assistance arranging to get home. I'm going to ask my travel agent friends.