Travel Insurance - 2x points with Sapphire?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Dangjr213, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so i'm a very impatient person and can't wait for my statement to close before I find, out so I'm hoping some of you have had actual experience with this.

I received my Sapphire Preferred in the mail yesterday, and hit my minimum spend today by booking my next 3 cruises for 2013. I took advantage of the current promotion of 6x points for cruises booked through the Ultimate Rewards travel. After I booked the cruises, I called USAA to book travel insurance on the 2 cruises. I'm curious to find out if Chase will classify the charge as "Travel" or "Insurance". I looked at the Blueprint and there appears to be a separate category for insurance but wasn't sure if the Blueprint categories is what Chase uses to determine bonuses. Because one of my Freedom charges last month showed up under "Gas convenience store charges" but I didn't get the quarterly 5% bonus. I was tempted to call Chase and ask why Blueprint classified it this way, but didn't bother since it wasn't really gas/convenience.

harvson3 likes this.
  2. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will probably count as insurance. However from my experiences points can be adjusted easily. Worst case scenario call in after the statement closes and explain how you believe it should be classified as "travel". Chase will most likely offer you a points adjustment because of the misunderstanding and say something along the lines of, 'in the future note that it is up to the merchant to determine what category the transaction posts.'

harvson3 likes this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have had success arguing with Chase that the category was misattributed, and got points for it. In my case, I made a donation to a non-profit civil rights advocacy group, and it was classified as "Legal Services" instead of "Charity."

Also, in my experience you don't need to wait for your statement to close to look at charges on Blueprint. My charges usually show up on Blueprint two days after they clear.