Travel in London expected to grind to halt in taxi driver slowdown against Uber

Discussion in 'Newsstand' started by uggboy, May 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel in London expected to grind to halt in taxi driver slowdown against Uber

anileze and WilliamQ like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, overall competition is needed, but the market is regulated in the UK and taxi drivers have invested a lot of money/time to be a taxi driver, it's very expensive to get licences in the first place and they see Uber as a real threat to their livelihoods. It's a lot at stake here and it's not only in London that Uber has met resistance, it's also resisted in Germany, parts of China and others around the world. I would suppose that Uber will succeed to offer their services in many locales around the world and taxis/Uber/others can exist side-by-side just fine in the longer term, the consumer/user will decide what's in demand and what isn't. Of course, this all depends also on local laws and local interests.

anileze likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uber does plenty of strong arm (or basically I will pay my way out) tactics and traditional establishments are indeed disadvantaged. E.g. In SIN, although Uber and other apps are allowed, traditional companies are mandated to set up call centres for bookings and have performance matrix. Now if the existing Cab drivers are pulled to cater to Uber passengers, it will be even harder then ever to match callers to cabs and the call centers gets operating funds via the booking fees and this is just one of the issues. And they trained the drivers, provided the "infrastructure" to set up the drivers and the drivers now "work" for app companies, cutting off their fee revenues.

uggboy likes this.