Travel in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by AnthonyB1609, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Everybody.... I am going to go to Costa Rica in August. My miles will get me to SJO. But I want to visit some of the beaches. I was told by one person that the bus/cab rides are very sketchy. And that I shouldn’t take either bus because the stations are very unsafe. Well then what should I do ride a bike? Anyways, since I have never been to CR and I don’t know anybody else who has I was wondering if someone on MP could help point me in the right direction. I have been searching the web and it just tells you how to get around but doesn’t tell you if it’s safe or not. :(

Thanks again.

perryplatypus, NYCUA1K and Espan like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We went to Costa Rica several years ago and I found no cause for concern anywhere. We did not ride a bus as we rented a car, however I had no fears anywhere, even at night. If I car rental is possible, I would highly recommend it as you will see much more of the country that way. We spent a week there and two of the places we enjoyed most were Arenal and playa Tambor. When we were in Tambor, we stayed at the Barcelo Tambor and while wandering into the residential community next door, had the good fortune to meet the president of Costa Rica, who was swimming in a pool at one of the residences. Amazingly we didn't even know that he was the president until we went around the corner after speaking with him for about ten minutes and discovered his security entourage who told us that we had been speaking to the president of the country. Unlike our country, the security detail was around the corner and very relaxed about their job. If you enjoy horseback, the hills around Arenal are fantastic. We had a guide for about a two hour ride and loved every minute of it.

3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have bussed around Costa Rica a couple of times in the last ten years. No problems at all. And I do not speak Spanish. Some taxi drivers lied to me. "your hotel is closed, I will show you a better one." Costa Rica seemed the safest of all the Central American countries. Even then, most problems envolved theft, not bodily harm. Keep you id and money under your cloths and use common travel sence.

4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general, CR is very safe for tourists. Plenty of petty crime, for sure, don't leave anything unattended on a beach, or anywhere. If you don't speak Spanish, and aren't a hearty/adventurous traveler, you'd probably want to avoid public buses, but Grayline and Interbus are two shuttle operations that service just about every major tourist destination in the country...

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great question! I few years ago, I bought a package to travel to CR with a companion but things fell through, so I have just been paying package extension fees since, hoping that I'd find the time to use the darn thing one of these days. As it turns out, and your starting this thread reminded me to check, the last extension that I took expires on 05/31, which is in a couple of days, meaning that I have to book by then or pay for another extension, and I do not want to do that. So, I am very much interested to know the answer(s) to your question because I am going to go ahead and book tomorrow...:cool:

Espan, perryplatypus and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  6. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info. That makes me feel better about the public transportation. I am going to look into it. I knew my fellow Road warriors wouldn't let me down.

perryplatypus likes this.
  7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friends of ours just came back last month, they go every year for about a month. Food is more expensive that you would think so be prepared. They take a big ice chest filled with food, rice, beans, oatmeal.

8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Post-modern Poetry? Google Translate Perpetual Loop?

AnthonyB1609, tommy777 and SC Flier like this.