Travel in Argentina after the 1/2014 devaluation

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by PointyWings, Jan 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would any recent visitors to Argentina please report how the latest devaluation is affecting their travels? Are you spending more (in your home currency terms, be that the $, €, £ etc) or are you now spending less? Would it be better to lock in exchange rates with some service like Xoom or better to try one of the cambios on the ground?

Gaucho, jbcarioca and Espan like this.
  2. BobFrassinetti

BobFrassinetti New Member

Status Points:
    Its looking good when exchanging foreign cash on for Pesos, but till next week we not know the depth of the advantage. New rules and regulations are coming out by next week,till then ,.... I will keep all of you updated!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last trip to BA was in late December when the unofficial market was rapidly getting better, but nothing close to the A$14 to US$ taht seems to be happening today.
    Topday there was quite a long article in our leading local newspaper here in Rio de Janeiro. That suggests that almost all prices have risen 10-15% in Brazilian Real terms and more than that in US$ terms during the last month. According to taht reporting Buenos Aires is now more expensive than is Rio de Janeiro. True? I do not know. In late December Buenos Aires was moderately prices in Rio de Janeiro terms but not a spectacular bargain.
    What will now happen after the dramatic changes in Argentina is the last days? I personally would bet on much cheaper Pesos and much higher inflation and prices in US$ too. Not a good situation.

However, I'd be interested to know the perspective of denizens of taht city, especially Gaucho.

IDGflygirl and Gaucho like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    All local Peso denominated expenses will be less expensive..... at least until they start adjusting and then the usual catch up game starts. To use Xoom or another option is a very personal decision.... street exchanges can lead to better exchange rates, although the "risks" involved are not for everyone. I suggest reading up on the various Internet Bulletin Boards and making your own assessment. Xoom has the disadvantage of having to go collect the cash upon arrival.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a couple of horses in the different races discussed here so please bear this in mind when reading my posts.

I can be contacted via email and/or PM if you need further assistance or more detailed information.

jbcarioca and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update.... the unofficial rate has been hovering around $13 (sell rate) for the past few weeks.