Travel help - where to post and go?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by guberif, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone,

I'm sorta struggling. I could use some quality advice on planning a trip with a variety of variables. I've got pretty solid dates, but loose commitment to alliances, points earning/not, and even final destination. I've learned about ITA, FD'ing (though I dont totally understand it) and I still need expert help and advice. Where (if at all) on MP is the best place to post for this help?

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're fine posting it here. You will get better advice if you give as many specifics as possible.

guberif likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to escape for 4'ish nights during spring break with my wife. (My mom is a special Ed teacher, that's her spring break, and she can watch the two toddlers)... Ideal departure is 3/30/13.

Live in DEN. Interested in pretty much anywhere in Europe, or perhaps somewhere unique like Lima, Peru. We collect UA miles; have about 200k through credit cards and flights, which we're trying to save for a 10-yr anniversary RTW in F (in about 2 years). Have some BA miles but consider them pretty worthless given the giant YQ surcharges.

So, would be willing to use a few UA miles if needed, but would probably prefer a revenue fare that earns UA miles. Looking for a steal though :)

4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and have about 90k UR points too

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your dates are locked in that might hurt you a bit. You probably should stick with UA as you do have a long term plan for your miles. Burning some on a "short" trip to Europe doesn't seem to me like a good idea. Assuming one of your CC gets you UA miles for spending that's what I would do. Buy your tickets and double dip the miles.

As far as destination goes, just figure out where you want to go and keep checking prices. I'd also compare prices on other airlines as well. (if delta and American drop/raise prices then UA probably won't be far behind) this will give you an idea on what to expect to pay.

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Keep an eye on the Mileage Run threads on Flyertalk and Milepoint for any special deals that have departures out of DEN. This means you should be open to any destination while hoping it will be *A carrier.

2. Hold onto your UR points so you can top off your UA account if needed. If not, you can use those points for hotels like the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris.

guberif likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    off season fares to Europe make it generally worthwhile to buy rather than burn points during this time of year.
    We've generally bought fares in off season & burned points during expensive season/time.

Mrs Sweet Willie & I have done more than a few 4 day weekend trips to Europe, just don't plan on going to more than one city to max time in the city you've chosen to fly to. Also try to choose direct flights from DEN to Europe to again, max your ground time.

8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the direct flights; only problem is that there is only two of them from DEN.....DEN---LHR on BA and DEN---FRA on LH. Would obviously prefer LH for *A.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, personally if I have to connect, I'd rather do the connection in the US to get a direct flight to the European city I was flying to.

10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some direct flights from DEN to KEF if you feel like touring Iceland. That won't help you with *A, though. Not sure what the weather would be like that time of year, but it seems like it might fit the bill for a quick 4 day trip overseas if the direct flight times work out for you.

guberif and Sweet Willie like this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to stay on UA just connect through here in Houston or Chicago. That should open up more direct flights. But EWR probably has the most choices though.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  13. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Newark has UA 757's direct to just about anywhere....I shudder to think about flying on a plane that was built before the end of the Soviet Union to anywhere over water...

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you are concerned about the 757s I would think it wouldnt much matter if it over water or over land.:)

As to your statement about YQ charges using BA miles... fair enough...but you should note that there no YQ charged on SA routes and I have used BA miles for a number of decent awards on LAN intra-SA most, recently SCL/LIM in C.

15. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very intriguing. Been interested in visiting Lima for a while. Any good way to get there on Avios from DEN? Figure it's gotta be AA via MIA or LAN via LAX.

16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN also flies MIA/LIM or MIA/GYE/LIM.

Lima is fine in its own right, but surely you must want to visit Cuzco and go on to Macchu Picchu.