Travel Hacking ?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by mynameismud, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    is "Trick It/Negotiate It" really considered as Hacking ?
    don't you think it could bring here some people who could really be Hackers ?

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The term strikes me as inaccurate as well.

3. erich

erich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think in terms of sites like Lifehacker.com in that hacking is finding shortcuts to an end. I believe you will find similar approaches if you look up people like Tim Ferriss (work hacking: 4-hour work week) and Chris Guillebeau (travel hacker)

4. Veloce916

Veloce916 Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree and to elaborate - The original term "Hacker" has of course a negative connentation but now it's also often used to imply a clever workaround or a quick fix to a poorly structured situation. The use of the word might often be "let me hack around on it and see what I come up with" . A good "hack" is admired and much appreciated (by me in particular when my programmer finds one for our pre packaged web software). So no, I don't think it will attract trouble, because that's the early evolution of a word that has well evolved past the breaking into places you don't belong stage.

5. The term "travel hacking" has gained popularity in the last few months because of a few big instigators, but the concept is the same. Working the system to get miles and fly cheap. I find it silly that it has to come with this new "cool-kids-cartel" branding these days. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

ScottC and Freddie Listo like this.
  6. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You couldn't be further from the truth. The ORIGINAL term hacker is for someone who modified things for their own use or improvement (generally it was used with electronics/hardware/software/internet). It was linked with modding. The term has since shifted into negative.

Back to the original post though. No. I don't think anyone wants to deface this because you put the word "hack" in there.

Muerl likes this.
  7. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it might be because you're old. [​IMG]

Kidding aside, from my experience, most of the younger generation (think 20-30 year olds) tend to travel much less for work and much more for personal. I personally have traveled for work about twice in my 9 years since graduation. However, I fly about 2-3 times per year on my own dime. That makes airline miles and status much more difficult to get and worth much more than if my company was paying for it all. Travel hacking makes it much more affordable, especially if I want to sit up front.

8. are you affiliated with the organization in your signature?

ScottC likes this.
  9. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in other news, we will also refer to rental cars as "hoopties".

TuesdayMass likes this.
  10. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travel Hacking is just a term used by affiliate revenue sites (like some linked here) and ebook sellers to sell their wares. In their logic, members of sites like FT have been "travel hacking" for over a decade.

This isn't hacking, it is just using the available tools to maximize your mileage and minimize your cost. But these sites and sellers play in with the term "hacking" to create some more buzz where there is none.

These "hackers" have been taking free content and reselling it as "hacks" for years. They have no shame.

11. I always wanted to join a cartel. Maybe we can get matching socks!

12. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is what i thought too, before i read others members answers...

13. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to other posters for the "real meaning" of Travel Hacking,
    However i still think it has a negative connotation and if we want to keep those technics secrets, it should not be so easy to find by googling terms like "travel hacking"

14. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    lots of negative connotations with that word. But it ain't my sandbox.

15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to second this about the importance of hacking being an ingenious solution to a problem likely not how it was designed.

I think FD are a very clear examples of this. Figuring out ingenious work arounds for YQ Fees.

Concerns about the Cartel, which I joined for 14 days cause it got a friend of mine a mile sign up bonus, and found it to be a useful collection of data, but not worth more $1 to me. Generally its a lot of hand holding and a collection of the best current free offers with a good looking UI. I canceled before my 14 days were up, but be careful it seems they roll over and charge at midnight GMT so I got charged for the month. They refunded my money as soon as I complained however, and I got a personal email from the founder.

Charging Money for data aggregation is no crime in my opinion, huge companies, such as Thomson Reuters charge astronomical amounts of money for what is essentially gigantic collections of public data.

16. Well said ^^

17. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't a crime - but in the case of FF promos and tricks, the data comes from normal everyday people who share this information because the topic is their passion.

What pisses me off even more, is the tricks a lot of these sites use to sell this information. "How to travel the world for free" - "never fly coach again" - stuff like that.

18. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I subscribe to it, if that is what you mean. I don't work for them, but I certainly have found some useful information through it.

19. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    he gets a referral bonus 500 milrs, not sure what program.

20. WonderBret
    Original Member

WonderBret Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anything I think it might get a few new people into the site. I showed a friend of mine who specializes in "software security" (don't worry, all white hat) and she was pumped when I explained the basics of FDing to her. I think she might be headed down that long, dark road to nowhere that we all find ourselves travelling.

21. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:

I guess I'm not sure why it is shameless for someone who has the time, energy, and know-how to take a bunch of dissociated information, put it together in one spot and then charge people for it.
    Edited to add: If someone was reselling the information provided by a pay site like ExpertFlyer, I would definitely have a problem with it. However, all the info on travelhacking.org is publicly available for free.
    They offer 500 mile referral bonuses for AA, DL, and UA, my choice.

22. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

I have no problem with what the cartel does, I just didn't think it was worth $25 a month. Recording videos for example on how to use the ANA tool for example is definitely an extension what was already out there.

there is always a multi level issue that people have when ever there is a monetization of information that is provided by many people. You see it across the board, and you see what some people are will to accept. I'm not sure there is a good solution, some people will always try to make money and others will always be angry about it.

coflyer2 likes this.