Travel Hacking TV Series

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by hmanners, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hmanners

hmanners New Member

Status Points:
    Hello! My name is Hilary Manners. I am working with a Major Cable Network is looking for “Travel Hackers” who are outgoing, spontaneous, and are good at what they do! Is your current bankroll of points and miles one to brag about? Do you consider yourself a mileage junkie? Do you drive from store to store in order to purchase multiple gift cards? We want to hear from you! Send a picture and a paragraph telling us about yourself, your love of travel and what sets you apart from others!

For anyone who is interested, the first step is to send me an email (travelhackercasting -at- gmail dot com) with your background information-full name, age, location, how long you have been travel hacking and the unique things you do to earn points. We have been speaking to a lot of travelers, so we want to hear about your different mileage runs, the different ways you earn and burn and the ways mile collecting has changed your everyday life.

The next step is to send us a short video- two to five minutes long! We want to take a peek into your world of travel hacking! I want to see your outgoing and fun personality, along with your strategy of finding the best deals and getting the most points. I want to know what sets you apart from other travelers. I want to see what lengths you will go to earn the most points! Show me all the credit cards you own, or any souvenirs you have picked up along the way. If you are going on a mileage run, take the camera with you! Anything that will help me see how dedicated and enthusiastic you are about Travel Hacking!

Once you are done making an AWESOME video please upload to wetransfer.com and send it my way! We are on a very short turn around and we don’t want you to miss out! All videos must be submitted by Friday, Dec 14th.

Because of the short turn around time, I am trying to reach as many people as possible in a short amount of time. Pleas let me know if there is better forum to post this, and I will move it.

Thank you!!
    Hilary Manners
    travelhackercasting at gmail dot com

merice107, katstarr and Kalboz like this.
  2. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    You guys! I can't wait to see you in this. I would totally apply to be the bad guy on the reality show whenever it happens.

3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And people are pissed about blogs ruining deals...wait til they get a load of this. I hope it's a flop and never airs. Sorry.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They just have to cast me ;)

mattsteg likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The famous Snark-Dog?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this will not include any of the major travel bloggers out there who do this professionally so that we give other people out there a voice.... although I can see that this could easily be comprised of the panel of the Chicago Seminars / FTU.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as travel hacking, just a myth. Why not make a travel show about a tour boat that gets shipwrecked on an island?

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The term 'hacking' implies someone has committed a crime and broken into a computer system and stolen something ... and no one on this forum does that.

I've been quoted in the national press many times over the years, including a couple of feature articles where I've quoted for things that I do when I travel, and I've never encountered a naive (inexperienced) reporter with minimal professional skills -- and wonder if this isn't a hoax.

To say something positive, the people on this forum are experienced travelers who do as comfortably and economically (in terms of their time, money and energy) as possible and exchange ideas and information on how to they do it.

DTWBOB

9. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sit right back
    And you'll hear a tale
    A tale of a fateful trip,
    That started from this tropic port,
    Aboard this tiny ship.
    The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
    The Skipper brave and sure,
    Five passengers set sail that day,
    For a three hour tour,
    A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
    The tiny ship was tossed.
    If not for the courage of the fearless crew
    The Minnow would be lost.
    The Minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore
    Of this uncharted desert isle
    With Gilligan,
    The Skipper too.
    The millionaire
    And his wife,
    The movie star,
    The professor and Mary Ann,
    Here on Gilligan's Isle.

So this is the tale of our castaways,
    They're here for a long long time.
    They'll have to make the best of things,
    It's an uphill climb.

The first mate and his Skipper too
    Will do their very best,
    To make the others comf'terble
    In their tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights, no motor car,
    Not a single luxury
    Like Robinson Crusoe
    It's primitive as can be.

So join us here each week my friends,
    You're sure to get a smile,
    From seven stranded castaways
    Here on Gilligan's Isle!

Kalboz, USAF_Pride, suenam and 3 others like this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a great song for the show! Nice job! :D

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not really accurate, to be honest. The term no more implies computer crime than it implies we are cutting travel into pieces, clearing away vegetation, playing bad golf, coughing, driving a taxicab, rearing a young hawk, playing hacky sack.

The word hack has many definitions. If you choose the wrong one, I guess you could get the wrong impression.
    I'm not sure reporter is the most accurate way to describe how the OP is presenting herself, and I see no claim that she is a member of the press. I'd go more with producer or casting director. She is not claiming to be writing a story or even working on one, and I see no implication that she is working with any news outlet.

Rather, this is almost certainly something for "reality" entertainment TV.

If you try to compare something to another thing that it is not (and does not claim to be), of course it will not match. That doesn't make it a hoax.

That's fairly accurate and all, but hardly a TV-friendly quote and to be honest misses out on a great deal. The phrase "travel hacking" actually delivers a great deal more pertinent information and is also much more targeted. The desired target is people who, within the area of "travel", work to leverage knowledge and manipulate the system in unintended or clever ways to their benefit.

There's overlap with your definition, but they are not the same.

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 day turnaround? Heh.

It sounds like "the amazing race" for milepointers, and that's a dumb concept. I think the mileage game take a bit more intelligence than the extreme couponers. TV people can't see the difference. Seriously, I hope this never gets off the ground.

I can see it now - TPG vs MMS, where they end up in a fistfight with a Walgreens employee because they won't let them use a CC for a Vanilla Reload. MMS' bowtie is actually a Chinese star, so he's taken to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Kalboz, paladinua, Muerl and 5 others like this.
  13. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pick me! I may be a curmudgeon, a grump, and a dull pedant, but at least I proofread and edit my professional work before I send it out. :rolleyes:

Kalboz likes this.
  14. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a reality show alum, I can see nothing good coming from this. Travel hackers will tell their stories, and then they'll be turned into the next great crazy extreme coupon people - showing how to use the system to get lots of things for nothing. In turn, the travel hackers are made to look like points-obsessed folk who aren't even breathing if points are not involved. A bad fate, to be sure.
    ...and even as I write that, I feel weird.

15. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because there's no WAY a major cable network would EVER sensationalize this to make "travel hackers" look unbalanced. Not from the folks that brought us Honey Boo-Boo.

Scottrick likes this.
  16. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    really a caster from a major cable network uses gmail for professional use.

Tenmoc, Kalboz, stan and 1 other person like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not a caster FROM a major network, but rather a caster from an independent production company that's presumably contracting with cable networks. I first saw this show mentioned here:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/miles...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+milesquest+(Miles+Quest)

The production company is apparently http://www.magneticproductions.com/

And a throwaway gmail account is great here for a variety of reasons:

- Free storage for the video files
    - once this show casting is done, it can just be abandoned and any spams due to mentions on the web (eg here) don't matter to the former user

And if you look at the OPs LinkedIn profile, you will see that a corporate email address might not be worth setting up ;)

Tenmoc, Scottrick, servo and 2 others like this.
  18. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just say no. It will ruin it for everyone.

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While that is one of the definitions it is certainly not the only one.

Muerl likes this.
  20. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a former SAG member, is this a union gig?

Kalboz likes this.
  21. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more likely to be like ice road truckers, or deadliest catch, or some of the gold digging shows -- so and so got so many segments today and leads the segment count.

<lol>

To be serious, I think this concept is dead on arrival.

DTWBOB

Tenmoc and Kalboz like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine that it attracts a huge audience, but there are lots of cable channels and they all have 24 hrs to fill with some sort of crap.

I also don't know how they are going to find awesome deals on demand when the show is filmed. MMS hunting for Vanilla Reloads at his local drugstore won't be that exciting.

Scottrick and mattsteg like this.
  23. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they will present the show in real time. This way, people can see that you don't all of a sudden earn Exec Plat status with AA after buying a bunch of sub $700 tickets from SEA-PEK/PVG and poof, next thing you know you're in 1st class on Cathay sipping champagne.

They should show the 10+ hr one way flight and repeat it 20 times so they can see what it's like to earn status. Doesn't this sound like a sexy life filled with glamour and glitz?

However, I'll be the first one to say that if they show a certain someone negotiating a deal with a bunch of Afghan farmers who have lost limbs due to errant landmines to fly back and forth between Islamabad and Beirut all for a promo providing 5000 Delta Skymiles per segment on MEA where he maintains control of all the frequent flyer accounts, I'd be interested in watching this certain someone in action.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a re-telling of the Pudding Guy's infamous accomplishment.

Kalboz, skyvan, Mikus33 and 1 other person like this.
  24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, but the drugstore down the road will be thrilling.

25. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole topic does seem to be one better suited to a documentary - lots of interesting stories to tell but not necessarily ones that can be generated on-command. There's a lot of preparation and groundwork involved on the front end, building up points, waiting for deals to leverage, etc.