Travel blog aggregator + DC travel deals W/facebook groups (self promotion)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by iolaire, Aug 5, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel blog aggregator
    So when @Wandering Aramean closed down hack.travel I felt like there was still a need for a similar aggregator of the travel blogs - but maybe without any labor intensive filtering out of the hundredth Prestige credit card post. At a minimum I missed the RSS feed of hack.travel where I could see more random posts from bloggers who I don't subscribe directly to their feeds.

Seth was nice enough to list out all the sites he was aggregating, so in October of last year I took his list of sites and a few more I follow, such as the translated BONUSFEBER.SE/NO/DK type sites, some flyer talk flight deal threads and the master BoardingArea.com feeds and stuck them into a new auto updating site Travel Blogs @ publicationaggregator.com. I chose the publicationaggregator.com domain as I might want to do something similar for other topics I'm interested in.

The basic format is whatever post summary the blog author posts in RSS is shown on my site, any in my RSS feed, but when a viewer clicks over to read the story they are sent directly to the source. Other sites of more spammy intention will copy the full story as well, I hope that by re-directing my aggregation is not seen as being spammy like that. If any one has concerns about me aggregating their site please PM me here and I'll remove it.

Once that was setup I realized that I'm reading facebook the most these days so I decided to also publish the content to a facebook group @ travelblogspublicationaggregator. Again there I see the summary in the RSS feed and the featured image on the post, usually to read the full story someone needs to click the link and they are sent directly to the original source. I've seen over 280 followers to the group so I guess people are seeing the posts randomly some how and like to see the content and end up following the page.

I still read some of the main blogs via RSS mostly at work, but then read all the other posts summaries via facebook on off hours. One big advantage of facebook is auto translation is built in, so as BoardingArea.com added more languages I didn't need to do the translation myself. Its intersting to see the Brazilian content and some Asian language that I really don't know what it is and via the summary decide if I want to open the link in Chrome to translate the full article.

DC Area Travel Deals
    At the same time I also setup DC Area Travel Deals, that was to replace my Yahoo Pipes RSS feeds of travel deals because Yahoo Pipes had close down. Initially I was planning on curating the deals but that was to much work so they now flow in from the source websites places like The Flight Deal and Slick deals with filters to get only the DCA/IAD/BWI deals. As with the travel blog site it shows summaries of the information and then you click over to the source for the details, but a few of the sites don't really work with deep linking so you would need to go to the site manually and find the deal. If any one has concerns about me aggregating their site please PM me here and I'll remove it.

Similar to travelblogspublicationaggregator I also created a facebook group @ DCAreaTravelDeals. That facebook group is not very popular with 28 followers and at least 8 of those followers are my friends who live out of the area.

But from my side the site is very successful because I get to quickly see sales from my home airports as they are posted on other sites.

Also I'd be willing to create other geographies travel deal sites if there is demand. Now that I have one setup it would be fairly simple to do others if I was to be provided with the Airport codes and names.

Final notes
    The sites publicationaggregator.com is seen as a business by the big banks but I'm doing it mostly for my own use, the google ads on the website would not pay for even cut rate webhosting. If I wanted to make it self supporting I'd need to do something like flow in some posts about sales on travel products on Amazon with affilate links, but honestly right now I'm just happy to have a nice central source of all the great content the bloggers write. I'm sure that I end up reading 20+ articles after clicking over from the summary each day.

If any one has concerns about me aggregating their site please PM me here and I'll remove it.

So if it interests anyone please feel free to take a look:
    Travel blogs
    Facebook group: travelblogspublicationaggregator

DC Area Travel Deals
    Facebook group: DCAreaTravelDeals

Kalboz and misman like this.
  2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this should be in the Tools area of InsideFlyer on the right side.

I like that readers do not immediately know who wrote which article; so that the articles stand on their own.

By the way, I have one suggestion, if it is possible to implement: could you figure out a way to include a featured photograph with each article, if the article contains one? I believe that would significantly improve your site in multiple ways.

I commend Seth on contributing to this project; and I thank you both.

iolaire likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks on Facebook it shows the blog name and the image as well. I assume Seth doesn't know he contributed to this.

Don't know about the tools in InsideFlyer.

4. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look on the right side under your InsideFlyer name to find the Tools in the middle column:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 2.16.36 PM.png

iolaire likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post about the site.

If anyone has suggestions of sites (any language or global focus) that should be include I'm very open to additional suggestions as long as they would have content of intrest. Also I noted pulling this that I didn't include the translated sites since those should up on the main BoardingArea.com feeds along with the rest of the BA sites. Its 89 (including 3 invalid sites) which is less than Seth's list of 160 sites, thats likely because iIpulled out most individual BA sites since I'm using the main feed.

Here is a list of the sites that are aggregated, my syndication plug in doesn't have a good export so some of the links are more notes rather than full URLs.
    airlinehotelcreditcards.com
    airplanegeeks.com
    airwaysandtravels.com
    badice.com
    blog.continentalclub.co.uk
    blog.frequentflyerbonuses.com
    blog.wandr.me
    boardingarea.com
    concorde.io
    crankyflier.com
    dealsseeker.blogspot.com
    feedrinse.com