Travel and Exercise - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by CT-UK, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK then so when at home I am sticking to a pretty strict exercise plan crafted for me by my trainer to get me through an Ironman triathlon in May so all well and good but when I am away I find it tough.
    Obviously I can’t stick to the plan if it is a bike or swim session day when travelling as I don’t have my bike and most hotel pools are rubbish for proper swimming + I don’t have my paddles, flippers etc. Running isn’t too bad apart from often I am in the centre of a city and have to put up with traffic lights, people and not knowing where I am going.
    Are there any regular exercise freaks here who manage to keep up a disciplined regime when on the road and if so how do you do it?

magic111 likes this.
  2. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a start, I always wear compression pants on long-haul. Then I discovered P90X - just Google it and you'll be bombarded with content. Check out the reviews on Amazon and the rest of the web. There's a reason its the number one fitness program available.

I carry the DVD's with me, plus the exercise bands and you can do the workouts in your hotel room (which I have done many times). I play the DVD's right from my laptop.

I'm an old man (44) but never been fitter in my life. I wont quit drinking - and I love my food, but hands down, something like P90X will easily keep you in shape, regardless of your travel pattern. I also do a lot of stair training - but the hotel staff often think you're a psycho - and its not always great running up and down a stairwell full of hotel staff smoking like chimneys.

Horse and tahewett like this.
  3. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    Run. Garmin GPS running watch gives you an arrow showing you how to get back if you get lost (which can be a good thing). Many hotels have run routes scouted already. I also use mapmyrun.com. Many local routes are in there as well. I run 60 plus miles per week and love the change in scenery, training. Also helps with jet lag. Some of my favorite travel memories are long runs in Paris, London, Bangkok, Slovenia etc.

baliparis and k2o like this.
  4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Garmin 500 for the bike which I use running as well but it doesn't have the arror feature. I also find running tough in the city with stop stars but maybe also beacuase of the bad winter we have had I have been put off by it. Anyway I have 10 weeks now to get my marathon legs on and that is after the swim and bike :)

5. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. There is a difference between staying in shape and getting into peak shape for competition while traveling. I ran a marathon last weekend in Florida. Got my long runs in on the weekends but didn't log as much as I wished during the week while traveling.

Chamonix likes this.
  6. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I faced a similar problem while training for my Ironman 70.3 while traveling. Some things I did (and didn't do, but was told by THE goddess herself, Chrissie Wellington, I should have done):
    • Made sure the hotel at least had a treadmill - I tried to stay at Westin properties and get the room with the exercise equipment in it so it would stare at me and make me workout.
    • Lots of yoga - we triathletes neglect what that can bring too often
    • Paid for (and expensed.. shhh.. don't tell) a visitor gym membership if I was staying for more than 48 hours
    • Use the rowing machine in lieu of swimming. Not the same, but engages many of the same muscle groups
    • Never use the elevator unless there was no other option.
    • Carry the laptop in a load bearing backpack and if possible jog a few flights of stairs
    • Practice your race nutrition. I neglected this and paid a high price at about mile 30 of the bike.
    In the end have fun. I finished my race dead freaking last in my age group, but I didn't care one bit. Of course now I'm running sprint distance and gunning down those guys as I can go longer at a faster pace. [​IMG]

Chamonix and CT-UK like this.
  7. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well done one the 70.3 :D

I met CW herself this weekend and she is such an amazing woman, how does she smile so much??

This year I am making the jump from Oly distance to full IM skipping the half thingy that only deserve half a medal ;)
    I decided to pick a brutal one as my first as well being St George Utah. Have a look at the bike and run profiles :eek:

JasonH likes this.
  8. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea! Her face muscles must be the strongest known to human-kind! She trains at an athletic club just a short ride from my house. Of course I am near Boulder so when I go for a nice bike ride I end up in groups with Tour de France and Ironman professionals.... and am dropped in no time flat. :(

I went from no triathlon experience straight to the 70.3 distance. I was just a Boulder, CO athlete (i.e., road bike, mountain bike, run, trail run, etc) and thought, "how hard can it really be?" Bloody freaking hard when you run in Augusta, GA in the heat and humidity. Best of luck with that race. I don't envy you on those routes.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am totally not in shape, and have difficulty fitting exercise into my routine at home; however, I find that when I travel, I hit the gym almost every evening or morning. For me, it is just getting out of the "comfort" zone to do something different. That may be the issue that is being discussed here... you are out of your "comfort" zone or routine, and it is difficult to pick it up.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I can't go for a run or swim, I make do with situps and pushups. Walking most places in a city helps.

savydog and Monkey Girl like this.
  11. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    I run in every city I travel too. I find its the best way to get to know a new city. I often try to find a 5K or 10K being held while I am there. It offers a fun experience in a new city

baliparis, upgrademe, Pablo and 4 others like this.
  12. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a total slug compared to you triathletes and runners. My pathetic answer is stairmaster like devices or elliptical for 30 minutes. [Here's a good example of where we need the Bowdown Smiley]

sagefemme52 and Monkey Girl like this.
  13. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Running around the city and/or exploring is great. Also finding nice hiking spots (when the weather is nice) or CrossFit stuff works, too.

Monkey Girl and Chamonix like this.
  14. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rarely exercise when I am at home, why would I bother to exercise when I travel?

Back when I was a in better shape, I alway found running to be the easiest way to stay in shape and also to see the city from a different view. Running in Boston, NYC, Baltimore, Chicago can take you past sites you would miss when in a cab or the subway. You can also take different routes each day to see new sites. My favorite is running at dawn in D.C. Running past the monuments and the grand buildings at daybreak is a beautiful site. Most hotels can provide you with a local running map or you can plan ahead and find one online for many cities.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  15. chgoeditor
    Original Member

chgoeditor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also a P90X user. (On about Day 110 and still not done yet.) I have the videos burned to my laptop, so I can watch them on the go. In some cases, I'll pack my yoga mat, at other times my resistance bands. (It depends on the specific days I'll be gone.) Before P90X, my running shoes, iPod and heart rate monitor were always in my suitcase. (OK, running shoes are still in there.)

Edited to add: There are a few great mobile apps for tracking workouts. I've used Runkeeper, for example, which uses GPS to track your path/speed/distance/time. Combined with Pandora radio, it makes for a great jog (plus you can easily find your way "home" in an unfamiliar town)

Horse, Monkey Girl and eightblack like this.
  16. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a huge problem for me. I have to work out every day, I'm addicted (and over 40). Why are hotel gyms so crappy? If they do have a decent gym, they sell memberships and they will be full of locals (locals not a problem, full is, I don't always have time to wait).

I run/walk, do the stairs (but this can be too creepy sometimes, maybe because I'm female). Finding a local race is always a good bet when it works out, that's my favorite. Find a park for running when I can.....I prefer trail running.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  17. Monkey Girl
    Original Member

Monkey Girl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any memorable runs?

When I'm in BKK, I enjoy running in Lumpini Park.

18. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eightblack mentioned P90X above. From that company there is also the Insanity based workout which does not require weights and is a brutal workout (cardio, plyometric and body-weight based). Put it on your laptop or iPad, find a small space in your room and you are good to go (workouts between 30-60 min). It's obviously not meant to be a full time replacement for those who love machines and weights or running outside, but a nice work out for the fit road warrior nonetheless.

Not for those with bad knees.

Horse and Monkey Girl like this.
  19. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too many to even count. But if I were pressed to give a top 5 they'd probably be:

5) LA - Manhattan Beach to Hermosa Beach and back - Out leg through the towns, back along the boardwalk. Great people watching.

4) Columbia - We Run Bogota Nike 10K - Not the most scenic run but always fun to unexpectedly find yourself jogging next to the president of a country. Negative points for trying to breath at 8300 feet while running.

3) MA - Lynn Woods - a hidden gem just outside of Boston. runs along the shores of Cape Cod and along the Charles in downtown Boston are always great but getting lost in Lynn Woods during the New England fall is magic.

2) Italy - The Venice Marathon - How can you beat running over bridges in Venice to finish in front of the Piazza San Marco looking out over the Adriatic Sea. Bonus points for the best pre race pasta dinners.

1) Africa -The Comrades - You get to see a lot of South Africa on a 56 mile run but it's the people you meet while running that make it amazing.

20. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've run in just about every city I've visited. I love running on beaches (though I'm not otherwise fond of them), and it's amazing to experience the variety in the world. One of the most memorable runs, though, was in MSY, through the Lower 9th Ward this past fall; it was heartbreaking to see what is still not there.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  21. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are also a lot of exercises that can be done in the hotel room itself, whether in the morning, evening, etc. A simple routine of push-ups, sit-ups, running in place (though it looks funny), tricep dips with a chair, squats, lunges, and who knows what else. I think it's all about being creative with the items in the hotel room.

doc and inukshuk like this.
  22. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also water-fillable dumbbells you can get from various sites in different weights. Fill them from your tap when you arrive, and dump the water out before you leave.

Here's an example, and I have no connection with this outfit: http://www.aquabells.com/specs.html

23. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've topped out on Olys, but when I was in heavy training for them, I would either just run or find a reciprocal club of mine for a pool. Someone also mentioned yoga, which I would also do. It is much easier to find a walk-in yoga studio than a pool, and the change of pace is good every now and then.

24. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm headed to Spain on Saturday. We're going to try P90xing in the hotel. I usually pack gym clothes to hit up the hotel gym at least once or twice. It does get hard to motivate myself to work out on vacation.

25. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The P90X programs are very good, a number of them are perfect for travelling since they don't require much as far as weights. I just ripped them and put them on my iphone for easy viewing while traveling.

there are MANY BODY WEIGHT type programs which one can use to keep muscle tone and to amp up a cardio workout. With a chair, a body and some time you can do a great deal. Lunges, squats, triceps, pushups, chair pushups, chair lunges, step ups, walking push ups, etc. etc. bundle that with some cardio equipment in most hotels and you should be good.

Hardest part I find with travel is maintaining any STRICT DIET requirements. that is what really takes some planning and effort IMHO

JasonH likes this.