Travel Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by CrankyScott, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    What clocks do you travel with?

I use two in my travels, the first is the L.L. Bean Nightfinder Travel Alarm Clock ($20) and comes in multiple colors. A well designed clock with large easy to read digits. Push on the clock and it illuminates. Also shows temperature which is a nice extra. Also shows the alarm time at all times.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62137?from=SR&feat=sr

On my iPod Touch and iPad I use Progressive Alarm Clock by Spotlight Six ($1.99). There are hundreds of alarm clocks in the App store, what sets this one apart are the multiple choices for alarm sequences. The one I use is 10 minutes and stars slow and then ramps up. And the sounds are of Tibetan singing bowls. A very easy yet distinctive sound that wakes me up gently.

http://www.spotlightsix.com/ipad_pac/

I have tried to use my phone, but it doesn't work for me. To use properly, I need to turn off message reminder and SMS alerts otherwise a ding or two will wake me up.

2soonold likes this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just use my ipod touch with the standard clock and ipad with nightstand.

3. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my phone (blackberry) as one and a wake up call as backup

Skyvillager likes this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Blackberry alarm is excellent. I use it on its charger and it even has a Bedside mode that dims its clock so that it doesn't light up the room.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Since I hardly ever gets SMS's, that's not an issue; also the SMS alert on my phone is just a single soft beep, so I can use my phone, set the alarm to play a nice piece of music, with the snooze set at 7 minutes.

It's a 3 year old Samsung BlackJack II, winmobile 6.0

Chimpy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just use my iPhone's or Android phone's built-in alarm clock. Sometimes both to make sure I get up :)

7. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use a few things, mostly my phone. But if it's an important meeting I'd setup my Mac too, I use Awaken: http://embraceware.com/awaken/

Also I'd do a wake up call, and for good measure I'd leave the curtains open and use the room's radio/alarm. Though, always double check the radio/alarm anyway before you go to sleep! Thankfully, I've never had one go off at 3am from the previous occupant, but I'm so paranoid it'd happen!

8. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to have a Blackberry and the alarm was excellent - it easily switches to Bedside Mode which disables all the radios so you don't get woken by texts, emails, BBMs etc. - particularly useful when in different time zones. What's really clever is that switching the alarm off automatically takes the phone out of Bedside Mode.

I now have an iPhone and I find the process to go through in order to achieve the alarm function to be much more complicated. You have to go into Airplane Mode, which is a few layers deep in the menu structure, as this is the only way of ensuring that the phone doesn't come alive in the middle of the night. What's worst is that you have to remember to go through the Airplane Mode sequence again in the morning in order to enable the phone again. As all things on the Apple, great toy, useless as a phone!

9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used a cheap "retired" Casio watch with the band removed.[​IMG]
    Yep, it got my bag inspected by the TSA.[​IMG]

Dorlee likes this.
  10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    SInce I never change my watch while traveling across time zones and don't want to futz/phutz with hotel alarm clocks, I use my cell phone as my alarm clock as it will change time zones automatically (with an mp3 verison of Reveille [in honor of goalie-dad & goalie-sis serving*] as my alarm sound)

*Drives them nutz when they hear it at 06:00 ;)

11. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    used to have the LL Bean, but switched to my Android phone 2 years back

12. Elizabeth Smith
    Original Member

Elizabeth Smith Active Member

Status Points:
    BlackBerry Bold 9650. What's an alarm clock? ;)

13. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel with a Moshi voice recognition alarm clock (which BTW also understands me when I'm drunk) and a Richard Solo RS020 global atomic alarm clock.

I don't trust smartphone alarm clocks, and a dedicated alarm clock can't crash or hang.

Dorlee likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's never been a problem for me in years of travel with Nokia Communicators, iPhones and HTC Android phones. The only time I haven't had the alarm go off as expected was when I messed up AM and PM, but fortunately it was a morning where it really didn't matter and it's a lesson learned. The bigger risk IME is that I turn off the phone alarm and go back to sleep [​IMG]

15. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had any problems either - I just don't trust them :D

Wurm likes this.
  17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmm, good thread. My internal clock is not as good as it used to be, so I think I need to invest in an alarm clock. Before, I could wake up at 5:55 am without fail and earlier for morning meetings and flights.

18. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the iPhone standard clock with a really obnoxious tone.

Chimpy likes this.