Travel advise

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ktspg, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ktspg

ktspg Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to the site and would appreciate any suggestions. I would like to go to Europe between July 1-16 of 2013. Hoping to get a free ticket to Paris and buy eurorail tickets to Amsterdam and Colonge with 4 nights each. I have 80K in AA, which would net me a coach ticket, but the tax was around $700 on BA. Am I better off paying for a coach ticket to Paris? I have 95K in UR points that i would like to save for down the road. I have points in HHonors and Hyatt that I would spend on hotels - suggestions. Thanks in advance

JohnDeere19, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others can help you with AA. I just wanted to welcome you to Milepoint :)

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

JohnDeere19, YULtide and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah I don't know of a way to avoid the YQ of BA either; possibly fly in using AirBerlin/Iberia/Finnair.

2ndly ... I'm assuming you already have the AA/HH/Hyatt credit cards to help w/the costs of the hotels. If not get on them.

3rdly I don't think there's a way to get EuroRail tix for free besides uring UR points/C1 Venture points for them.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would you have to pay BA fees?just simply fly w AA and taxes will be only $80....as well i don't know for how long you're staying but I'd consider flying w European low cost carriers too like vueling,easy jet ,wizzair,etc what's dirt cheap and saves you a bunch of time ,or star alliance is good for this route too.i did last year a bcn-zrh-bud-fra route for about €130-not bad:)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I assume you are pricing out flights on AA.com and it is showing taxes and fees because you are selecting BA flights? Try clicking on "more flight search options" on the front page. Then you can force just flights on AA instead of including BA by un-selecting partners. Of course, there may not be availability for your dates.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First thing to do is look at availability and fees segment by segment. You don't say the routing but since you are looking at AA, I would assume you are flying through LHR. As others have said, I suspect the big fee is the YQ charges on BA. For example, the fees for the flight from LHR to CDG are about $85.40 per person - the balance of the fees would be for your flights to and from London.

Examples of what the BA YQ charges do:

Flights to LHR on AA ONLY: About $5.00
    Flights to LHR with BA flying into LHR: Over $230

Flights from LHR to the US on AA ONLY: About $180
    Flights from LHR to the US with BA: About $370

For the LHR-CDG segment it is one of those situations where the fees are much more than the actual fare. If you look at Orbitz, they show the breakdown of a LHR-CDG flight to be as follows: Fare: $16.00; Taxes and Fees: $88.50; and a "service charge" of $10.99. For a flight from the US to CDG, there is probably no way to avoid the LHR-CDG fee (unless you can find a flight directly to CDG).

Bottom line is that if you don't want to pay the high BA fees, then you need to limit your search to AA flights.

Hope this explains why you are getting such high "prices" on your trip.

JohnDeere19, artvndlay and gamecock like this.
  7. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a regular on AA, but I would imagine you can drop your cost if you find an AA flight to CDG. I would imagine they fly direct to Paris from at least one of their hubs. Additionally, you may want to consider flying into Paris and then returning from Amsterdam. (Cologne is a smaller airport and Paris-Cologne-Amsterdam is a straight shot.)

More importantly, you may want to check on point costs for overseas hotel redemption. Sometimes they can be ridiculously high, so I would check on that sooner than later so you can budget accordingly. Sounds like a great trip!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I checked AA flies from JFK-CDG. Save your money and the hassle of LHR.

Granted it's a 757....

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    If he's flying coach, who cares!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  10. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahhhh, but the 757 slAAve galley has it's own unique level of discomfort!

JohnDeere19 and guberif like this.
  11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least if you're gonna fly coach TATL, fly on a carrier with free booze!

JohnDeere19 and ACMM like this.
  12. stavraetos

stavraetos Active Member

Status Points:
    Star alliance also has really good coverage in Europe and I used 25k UR for a trip this past summer. I transferred to United and booked at the low level with a stopover which allowed us to see three destinations in Europe. Perhaps not the greatest use of points ever, but it was a last minute need during peak season and it would've otherwise cost $700+. Just another thought about what to do within Europe.

On the other hand, it may be just me, but I love travelling on trains in Europe, especially for short distances like the ones you just mentioned.

guberif and JohnDeere19 like this.