Trapped on grounded plane overnight

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by sobore, Apr 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.world-first.co.uk/home/news/trapped-on-grounded-plane-overnight$61180.aspx

Passengers were forced to spend the night inside a locked plane on a runway after bad weather forced it to land.

Dragonair Flight KA875 took off from Shanghai at 6.30pm on Sunday with 252 passengers on board but was diverted to nearby Shenzhen airport when Hong Kong was deluged by a severe storm.
    Even though conditions had improved the flight was then delayed from heading on to its intended destination by a power failure.

A spokesman for Cathay Pacific - owner of Dragonair - said passengers had to stay on board the aircraft on the tarmac for seven hours.
    Cabin crew barred the doors as a number of passengers attempted to leave the plane to buy food and water as supplies ran low.

The friend of a crew member told the South China Morning Post they ended up with just one 1.5 litre bottle of water to share between them.

Read More: http://www.world-first.co.uk/home/news/trapped-on-grounded-plane-overnight$61180.aspx

Flyer1976, WilliamQ, foxberg and 5 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's difficult to believe that this situation would occur on an air carrier in much of the Americas or Europe. It's surprising that the passengers didn't riot. :mad:

sobore, traveltoomuch and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll say!

Flyer1976, sobore and Newscience like this.
  4. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall reading a very similar issue when CX flight was diverted to Zuhai airport and spent the night there.
    Not sure what KA could do there. They can't open the door 'till Chinese government authorize to do so.

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dont understand why they cant open the door they are still in China so no immigration issue. It only become an issue if you end up in a third country where immigration becomes an issue.

Newscience likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lay flat beds would come in handy in this situation I'd say :)
    I think I'll grab a bottle of water to carry onto my flights today....

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine it's way more complicated if there are 3rd party nationals (which there likely were) especially people in transit/connection who had not gone through Chinese immigration already.

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed and if it was a life threatening situation I would definitely egress from the aircraft. What are they going to do? Arrest me and put me in a place with water and 3 rice bowls a day? ;)

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful what you wish for! You might be lucky to get as many as three bowls a day.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. IceTrojan

IceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder to myself how much of this is KA's doing, and how much is driven by China's policies. I think both should work together to straighten it out, since this isn't the first time this scenario has played out.

Also, if I were on that flight, I'd very much be paying attention to where the nearest emergency exit was.

Flyer1976 likes this.