Transportation e-Voucher

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Efilon87, Oct 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a tax exempt e-voucher that was converted from a paper voucher. I was booking travel for next week and wanted to use my paper voucher, but apparently you need to book at least 12 days out since you must mail them the voucher. Since my travel was next week and I live about 60 miles from an airport that AA services, the reservations manager was able to issue an e-voucher. I was able to book my trip with the e-Voucher. The original cost was $137, got an email confirmation that the new total was $116. Apparently I was issued a tax exempt e-voucher. I have about $13 left on the e-voucher. When I use it again, will it eliminate all taxes or just proportionally reduce the taxes? Just wondering for my next trip. Thanks!!

~Efilon87

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the tax/non-tax issues about AA vouchers still remains a mystery to me, unless AA has changed its policy, you still should be able to use a voucher until almost the last minute by ticketing at the airport. You simply hold your reservation on AA.com, call up AA and tell them you want to ticket at an airport. I have done this with a paper voucher, not sure if you can/could with an evoucher.

Fair warning though--- if your nearest AAirport doesn't have mainline employees working the ticket counter, it could be a real pain. Some Eagle stations are clueless how to properly process a voucher that is supposed to be tax exempt.

Hopefully others can answer your primary question though....

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just Eagle. I had a brief discussion with an agent at the Sacramento Airport this week about taxes and vouchers. I think she's a prior AA agent that is now working for whoever they've outsourced the operation there to. In my case, with a $400 bump voucher, about $38 was knocked off a $837 fare to Europe, bringing my out of pocket cost down to $399. She indicated a lot of agents are not up to speed on taking some taxes off tickets with vouchers, and it's best to raise that topic at the start of the ticketing process instead of waiting to the end and having them completely redo the ticketing. She was able to do it all off the computer where an agent a few months back, with a different voucher, had to call in and have someone calculate it for her.

Max M likes this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ironically, last night I just received a voucher [obviously currently in the mail] because I had to cancel a ticket, and asked the agent over the phone whether one can still ticket at the airport.

Obviously as tom911 showed, one can still ticket at the airport, but at stations that are being outsourced, as well as Eagle stations it can be a real pain.

At the Eagle station that I was at, I almost had to argue with the Ticket Agent that VDB vouchers are tax free. Once she finally decided to check with a co-worker, she told me that I was right, and that I should consider working for American Eagle...