Translation function is currently limited to forum title, MilePoint toolbars and buttons

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Tinkerer, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed the translation function - currently seems to translate forum title and MilePoint toolbars and buttons only (not posts)

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:

It works fine for me here. What's your OS/browser versions?

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I tried Japanese translation and it works. But when I tried Traditional Chinese, only titles not post contents are translated. This is with Safari 5.0.3 (6533.19.4) and Mac OS X 10.6.6

4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weird. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just tried Japanese again and none of the posts was translated. But when I tried that again on the first page of the thread, only the first few posts are translated (See screen capture below). Only posts 1-4 are translated.

Screen shot 2011-02-12 at 7.40.43 AM.png

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Italian works fine. It not only translates the titles, but the post content, the chat bar at the bottom, and the member handle. I'm no longer Gargoyle, I'm Doccione, and I'm an "original members". (as translated, original is singular but members is plural). Does that mean I have a split personality?

milepoint-italian.jpg

JALPak likes this.
  6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even the handle!? That's a bit too much.

I also notice some of the airport codes got translated into something weird in Traditional Chinese too. e.g. NRT got translated into something doesn't make sense at all. I was wondering since more of the posts are so specific and are related to airlines/miles, we can fine tune the translation engine a bit, e.g. have a whitelist of airport codes and not translate those airport codes or expand them to the name of airport in whatever language you are translating into

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just tried again, and this time it only translated some titles, not the content. It also translated the bread crumb bar but not the menu bars this tim. So, it's inconsistent.

milepoint-italian-2.jpg

JALPak likes this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes that's the same behavior I noticed with Japanese translation. Thanks for confirming this, Doccione :)

9. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's really weird is when you translate to several different languages then go back to English.

JALPak likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, it translates the most recent language displayed, not the original content. So, when I translated from English to Swedish to French and back to English, here's what I get: (the Italian in the image is because I captured the post with embedded graphic a few posts up from this one).

I'm not sure I like the fact that the Swedes consider me a Belcher. I know that is a sign of appreciation of a fine meal in some cultures, but...

Milepoint-german-french-english.jpg

JALPak likes this.
  11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to change your handle?

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for testing this out, Belcher!

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting- I have the page displayed in Croatian, but when I click "Odgovor" (Quote) it pastes your quote in English. Actually that makes sense, since the translate works on what is on screen at the time you translate, it doesn't convert the browser into the new language; so things you do after translating will be in the original language, not the new one.

Anyway, which handle should I choose? Lots to pick from:
    Milepoint-Gargoyles.jpg

lin821, u600213 and JALPak like this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually if you scroll to the bottom of the page and then click the translate button, you can notice the page is translating from top to bottom when you scroll up. Bottom of the page will still be English while top is changing to the other language. After you went back to the top, scroll down again, you will see the whole page translated.

But sometimes the translation stopped at certain post. Not sure if that's because of the ads. In my case it stopped at the post with the video ad.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The guy doing the translation got sidetracked watching the video, and forgot to complete his task.

JALPak likes this.
  16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to work for me, but is slow to update the page when changing from English to another language. I wonder if you remain in another language than English does MP slow down a little (presume the data is held in English with translation on the fly)?

17. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additional comments on the this issue were made in this thread. Let's keep primary discussion here in the beta forum, but thought this could help the developers further debug.

lin821 likes this.
  18. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My hunch is it should have been brought up in Beta Feedback but I haven't had the chance to dig up the discussion. Thank you for referencing my out-of-place posts w/r/t translation.

Let me quote myself from the other thread so admin would know what I am wining about:

G_G and Tinkerer like this.
  19. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm finding the issues vary a bit between threads so I thought it could be helpful to know a specific thread where it wasn't working (especially since this beta thread, ironically, seems to work well!)

20. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to pick you a Traditional Chinese one but apparently it didn't work. :p

G_G likes this.
  21. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Page 4 of this thread, where Dovster and Gargoyle started mixing Italian and making that page bilingual. Later on I tried Page 5, where I had posted my testimony quoted above.

Was it like Gargoyle suggested, no every (non-English) language is equal? ;)

G_G likes this.