Transiting LHR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Feb 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH to UA terminal 1, I know I stay airside, but what is approximate time for clearing security?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like most all airports, times vary. My personal experiences have been between 5 and 40 minutes. This does not include the long walk from gate to security. Normal min connection time I would be confortable with (T1 to T1) 1 hour and 15 minutes.

sfo1 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow the purple "Flight Connections" signs. If you already have the BP for your next flight, just continue to security. If not, stop at the ticketing desks to get the BP and then clear security.

sfo1 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I am trying to avoid is the winter weather on the east coast of the US. I found a flight LHR to LAX so winter weather would not be a problem, of course I realize that the winter weather in the UK an be bad or anywhere in Europe, but I think I have a better chance of no delay by going via LAX to SEA

AZjohn likes this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. I do everything I can to go directly west coat to Europe (or back). But, it really comes down to UG and/or award inventory for me, and sometimes east coast connections in winter is the only thing available.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now UG is available for my outbound and my return which is a few days after Christmas, so guess I will grab what I can. I was hoping FRA IAH SEA on UA but their flights are going via east coast first, no flights on UA direct only LH to IAH and don't want to chance not getting the UG on LH. I did find a Swiss flight from ZRH to LAX and posted in miles n more asking about how comfortable economy was, but got no answers, so guess I will stick to UA

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that your airplane might be coming from IAD or ORD and if there is weather there, it will impact your LHR-LAX flight.

sfo1 likes this.
  8. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The LAX flight does come from IAD - at least until the summer schedule kicks in in April. But it leaves IAD late in the day when they have had a chance to clear most of the runways, and international flights tend to be given preference. If it is cancelled, there's a later IAH flight and a later SFO flight from LHR, both of which give the OP options whilst still avoiding IAD, EWR and ORD.

sfo1 likes this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked UA SEA IAH FRA and return, so no east coast weather for me, especially happy that all GPU's cleared and this was for this Christmas.