Transit Visa Question - Urgent - Please advise

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by drymartini, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. drymartini

drymartini Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I will keep it short and I would really appreciate if someone could help me or even guide me to a good source.

Backstory: My parents are flying using US Airways dividend miles. United changed one of their flights in the itinerary by 5 hours and when I called US Airways they offered to redeposit the miles for free (which doesnt help me). I set up EF alerts and got 1 alternate one today.

Here are the two options (portion of itinerary):
    BKK - FRA - LHR - IAD

Original was BKK - FRA - EWR - IAD

Also, my parents have Indian Passport and US Tourist Visa.

Here is Lufthansa's guideline for transit visa requirement for Indians

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/in/local?nodeid=3116855&l=en

If they take alternate itinerary:
    • They are coming to USA from FRA but through a non-schenzen country (UK)
    • They hold a valid US visa
    Their situation doesn't align with any of the examples listed in Lufthansa's page.
    Bottomline,
    Do they require to have a transit visa for LHR or FRA ?
    i am thinking of changing it today as I don't know waiting further for a direct FRA - IAD availability through EF alerts would be wise.
    oR
    Should i just wait for FRA - IAD availability (they are traveling in end of august) and let this chance to rebook go by.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. drymartini

drymartini Active Member

Status Points:
    Wandering.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am having doubts with the united website (maybe i am not entering seed values correctly either) because if i just put frankurt as sole transit, it still says they need transit visa which you don't if you have a valid US visa.

If a passenger is holding a valid US visa on their passport (along with some other countries),

• They do not need a transit visa for Germany or UK if they are going onward to USA. example BKK - FRA - IAD, BKK - LHR - IAD
    • They do need a transit visa if they are going through 2 schengen countries like BKK - FRA - BRU - IAD
    My parents case is going through a schengen and a non-schengen country BKK - FRA - LHR - IAD

Maybe I will call the local German Consulate here and see if i can get an answer.

Or maybe I should just wait and see if a direct FRA - IAD flight opens up on a United. They do have twice daily flight on this route.

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Need a transit visa if and only iff, it is two EU (not necessarily Schengen) in between BKK and US. Check timatic