Transferring Starwood points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mdrobtx, Jan 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello, I'd like to transfer some of my Starwood points to Southwest Airlines.
    The converter shows I need to first transfer to Amtrak then to Choice Hotels then to SWA.

Question? Right now I do not have an Amtrak or Choice rewards acct. Can I just open an Amtrak and Choice Rewards acct and start transferring? If so, do I need to call in order to transfer or do most reward websites have links to transfer?
    fewtreezy and deant like this.
  2. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Why would you want to waste SPG on WN?

If you didn't know an fyi, to transfer Amtrak to Choice you need to be:
    • Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus status, have an annual point transfer limit of 50,000
    • Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank with an Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200 per calendar year, have an annual point transfer limit of 25,000 per year

You can convert to other airlines and get such a better ratio. Avios, LANPASS, Virgin.

I would not suggest completing this transfer.

Yes you can call or you can do it online. Whichever you feel most comfortable with.
    infamousdx, fewtreezy and deant like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

You beat me to the answer.

As The TravelAbstract said, from the position you are in, it will take a long time for you to make the transfers. You would first need to apply and activate an Amtrak credit card and then spend the $200 in Amtrak fares. Not something I would not be willing to do.

If you are looking for SW miles, you might think of the SW credit card and the SW Business card. I believe both are now giving 50K sign up bonus'.
    fewtreezy likes this.
  4. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

mdrobtx may be trying to hit the companion pass additional 10k...
    deant likes this.
  5. fewtreezy, that's exactly what I was trying to do.
    I figured I'd put it to the experts first. Thanks for all the replys.
    Also, I don't know if transfer points can count towards the 110K pts needed for the SWA companion pass.
    I already have both business and personal 50K SWA cards.
    Just need the 10K.
    Any suggestions?
    deant likes this.
  6. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Darius has a great post on this topic over at Million Mile Secrets. That should give you all the details you are looking for.
  7. Alright! Excellent! Thanks for the link jeffbrownson.
    miles and smiles likes this.