Transferring miles

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by wolfsatz, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I'm getting married this coming Fall and I got the BA Chase card along with most of the 100,000 mile bonus. My father applied for the same card on my advice and he also received the bonus. Today, he informed me of his intention, all along, to gift me his 100,000 miles to do with whatever I like (honeymoon).

Very kind of him but he wasn't aware of the restrictions BA places on transferring miles. So, I'm looking for some advice on the best way to proceed.

1. When the time comes to book the flight, he simply books an award flight for myself or my fiance.

2. I have my fiance sign up for a BA Executive Club account with my Dad's address so that she becomes part of his household account. Possible?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. normally should be easy, although complications could ensue if the flights need to be changed; his permission could be required depending on FF program rules

2. personally I wouldn't try this as it could be viewed as fraudulent to deliberately give a false address if your residence address (not just a mailing address) is requested

3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see a rush to household - and once you're householded I don't think they're any way to turn back.

If you don't need to pool the points from your account and your fathers account I'd keep them separate - that gives you more flexibility and lets you draw down one of the accounts first - especially if you book one-way awards.

wolfsatz likes this.
  4. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you just need to wait a bit and you will get the rest of your miles.

There's no reason to pool if you are getting two equivalent tickets from two accounts with an equivalent number of miles.

If you are planning to get the 2:1 voucher at can make a lot of sense to do a household account, I did one with my brother.

Peter