Transferring Miles out of VS

Discussion in 'Virgin Atlantic | Flying Club' started by webdes03, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping those of you who fly VS far more frequently than I can provide some help here. When I was growing up with family on both sides of the Atlantic, we flew VS almost exclusively between NY and LON. Now that I'm a consultant, with a large amount of domestic travel, VS just doesn't make sense, and it has now been roughly 5 years since I've flown with them.

I was smart enough to use miles for upgrades and such along the way, so I don't have a ton of miles in my account, but there are 25,000 miles that are set to expire at the end of 2013. While it's unlikely I'll fly VS in the near future (especially if they do end up in SkyTeam), I'd like to transfer those miles somewhere that I can actually use them.

I've seen blog posts with award charts, and heard about transferring to HHonors points and such, but I can't for the life of me find any information about the transfer process or the mile-to-point ratios on the VS website.

Ideally I'd like to get them to UA, so I could funnel though HHonors or SPG (if VS deals with SPG), or some others. Obviously I'll take a loss on the conversion, but any loss is less than just letting them expire next year.

2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did a VS to HHonors transfer and it was 1 VS to 2 HHonors.

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is where it talks about transfers:
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/u...onworldwide.jsp?bfSubmit1.y=14&bfSubmit1.x=22
    Spending Miles:

Flying Club members can spend their miles for any rewards available on the Hilton HHonors reward chart. Hilton HHonors Terms and Conditions apply for all rewards.

Just exchange Flying Club Miles for Hilton HHonors Reward Exchange.
    Full Partner Terms and Conditions

But it doesn't tell how, just call up Flying Club and they will help you do it.

Since day one when I read about doing the transfers I've wondered if they will stop them since everyone (me included) is earning their miles just to transfer out. I rushed to transfer as soon as possible just in case...

travelpye likes this.
  4. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A call to the Flying Club desk took care of it. Shame it "takes up to 30 days"... most of these places are almost instant these days, but oh well. The 2:1 ratio is nice, though the HHonors -> MileagePlus ratio is kind of rubbish, but at least it's a way to salvage some miles.

Thanks!