Transferring either (or both) MR or SPG points to ANA? What would you do?

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by more2life, Dec 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. more2life

more2life Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you had equal amounts of SPG and MR points, what would you prioritize in spending first to transfer to ANA for a single r/t J award (85k points) from LAX to TPE (through NRT)?

I know SPG has the 25% bonus, but the points also take longer to transfer to ANA… I heard that MR points are more valuable, so I might want to liquidate SPG points first (I don't use SPG hotel redemptions that often anymore).

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did you hear that MR points are more valuable?

Far fewer transfer partners with MR than SPG and where they overlap the rates are the same AFAIK.

MX likes this.
  3. more2life

more2life Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point Seth, though I think the 'valuation' was based on the speed at which SPG transfers occur vs MR transfers. I read that for ANA, SPG is up to two weeks while MR is 1-3 days.

I guess since I wouldn't want the ANA availability to disappear, I should make the MR transfer, anyway?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. StartInSanDiego

StartInSanDiego Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd use the MR's. Why?

1) Instant transfer for MR's-- your award should still be there
    2) SPG's have more transfer partners-- in this booking, you have choices (Starwood or MR), but that won't always be the case..
    3) With an array of MR points earning cards and a slew of bonus earning possibilities on those cards, you have more opportunity to replenish your MR stash in an accelerated fashion.