Transfering Points?

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Muerl, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I realize that Maybe I should post this in Choice Privileges, but there website sends me to Amtrak to actually do that transfer so I am asking here.

Amtrak says :
    "The option to redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards points for airline miles, hotel points, Audience Rewards and experiential rewards is only available to the following members with the associated annual point transfer caps:
    1. Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus™ status, or with an annual point transfer limit of 50,000
    2. Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank with an Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200 per calendar year, with an annual point transfer limit of 25,000 per year"
    Where as Choice says :
    "*Amtrak® limits the number of points a member can redeem for Program Partners or in a calendar year. The yearly limit for standard Amtrak Guest Rewards members is 25,000 points. The yearly limit for Amtrak Guest Rewards Select members is 50,000 points. Please allow 4-6 weeks for points to be posted to your account."
    I assume this is because Amtrak doesn't want to be an intermediary between CO/UA and HH/CP (or HH and CP i guess) but I wanted to check, who is right, Choice or Amtrak? I have a situation where 15000 CP would definitely be worth more to me than 5000 CO miles in the near future and am looking at my options (might be worth more than 6000 miles to me ;))

Anyway, I'm all about intricate schemes right now, I am trying to put together a 3 month honeymoon on miles and points as much as possible :)

2. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Amtrak is more right here, since the transfer is initiated on their site and so follows their rules. If the Select rule kicks in and you don't have an AGR credit card, get it for the 36,000 points - http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32634-great-deal-on-amtrak-credit-card/ - and just spend over $200 on a ticket far in the future, and cancel it when you finish the transfer - most Amtrak tickets are fully refundable.

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saddly, Chase is not going to give me a credit card for a while, It took alot of effort to convince them to give me the BA card after already getting the UA and CO cards this year.

4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have out-transfer priv.s which they are not going to use this year?