Transfer your Miles for Less Between AA accounts!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Mar 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you think this is a good time to transfer your miles between accounts?

1. No

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines Announced a new "sale" today allowing your transfer miles between accounts for up to a 20% discount. The more you transfer/share the higher the discount. Although this is still not a great deal, if you're looking to transfer miles between accounts, this could be a good time to do it. However, if you're just trying to consolidate accounts, I would not recommend transferring miles at this time.

[​IMG]

Per the rules listed on AA Page, "Transfer miles between AAdvantage® accounts and receive up to a 20% discount. Now through March 31, 2011 when you transfer 1,000 – 5,000 miles you’ll receive a 10% discount. Transfers between 6,000 - 10,000 miles will receive a 15% discount and transfers between 11,000 – 25,000 miles and receive a 20% discount."

Now I KNOW this says March 31, 2011 however I'm sure this is a typo by AA and I've already emailed them about this issue and I'm certain they meant 2012 since they JUST announced this!

To transfer 1,000 Miles the cost is $45, That's 4.5 cents per mile! If you want to transfer 25,000 Miles the cost is $200 or .8 centers per mile. Now Honestly I would say .8 cents a mile is a fairly good deal, because I cannot find a ticket ANYWHERE in the world for $200 that's going to get me 25,000 miles. However, if I was you I would not transfer miles and I would keep adding to this account. You can get 25,000 miles for free via credit card sign up bonus and there are HUNDRED of ways to earn miles without flying to keep your miles active and keep your miles from expiring. (this same thread is available on my blog )

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that these miles don't qualify as lifetime miles, why would you ever do this? Maybe if you need a few miles for a certain booking and they'd otherwise expire, but there are very, very few situations that merit this.

3. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    100% agreed. This is why I would say I would not do it! But if you're say 1,000 mile shy of a ticket, barrow some for a friend, then for $45 it could be worth it....but again, not recommended!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Even with the discount, isn't it cheaper to buy the 1000 miles at $29.50 plus tax? ;)

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For example: my mother's miles are expiring and, as a family, we've switched over to UA -- but I still had AA miles that I was using for other things. So we transferred her miles to me since I still have an AA credit card and am still accumulating AA miles.

BTW, this isn't new, but the new rate is higher.

6. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    yes, but if you Transfer the max of 25,000 miles it only cost $200, if you buy it would cost $687, so honestly if you're smart you would NOT transfer low amounts, but buy and transfer only high amounts. Either way, still not worth it!

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Obviously the value of the offer is for higher amounts, but that assumes you have a willing party to transfer into your account. For the low level that was used as an example, buying is still a better option.

My brother and sister had a handful of AA miles that they didn't need or even want to use, but instead of transfering them, they just used the miles to book me an award ticket. Didn't need to pay the fee and still got the same benefit.

In general, except for a few limited situations, there are better and less expensive ways to maintain or gain miles.

John777 and schnitzel like this.