Transfer time between terminals in LHR

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by mdtravel, Jan 4, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be arriving in LHR on AA, and then flying to Amsterdam on a separate ticket. I will be flying out of either Terminal 4 or Terminal 5, depending on what airline I use.

I believe I will have to exit customs/immigration in LHR, and then need to re-enter through security...?

On the LHR website, I find information that says buses transit between terminals every 10 minutes but nothing telling me how long it takes to get between terminals.

Practically speaking, on a weekday at 9:00 AM, how long does it take to get between T3 and T4 or T5?

Also, am I correct about get off the plane, clear immigration/customs, re-enter security?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should not need to clear immigration unless you have a checked bag to claim at LHR and re-check. Otherwise just stay in the transit area and head to the next gate. If you connect on with BA (i.e. T5) then AA may even check a bag all the way through.

It you do the transit thing a 90 minute connection should be feasible, though that depends on security lines as much as anything else.

3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. We won't have luggage.

We will be on BA, so T5. This will be dumb, but when you say "stay in the transit area" what do you mean? I'm going to have to go through security again right?

I had thought about heading to the arrivals lounge that AA has, but I see there are two BA lounges in Terminal 5 that have showers. They are most likely much nicer than the AA arrivals lounge and would of course be closer to our departure gate. We'd both be coming off a business class trip on a Oneworld partner, and I have Exec Plat status with a Oneworld partner so I think between those the two of us should be able to get in to almost any Oneworld lounge (except the Concorde Room).

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is arrivals/immigration and then "Connections" (purple signs, IIRC) at LHR. Follow the Connections signs and you won't clear immigration at LHR. You'll head to a bus and then ride from T3 to T5. Clear security at T5 and then head to the gate (or the lounge). If you want the AA Arrivals Lounge that would mean immigration.

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections