Transfer Qantas Miles?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Sean Whitehurst, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Last summer I flew Qantas From JFK to Australia and back. This netted me just shy of 25K miles. I do nto plan on going back to Australia anytime soon. Is there a way after the fact to use these miles in the US or should I just spend them in the Qantas online mall?

travelinmike33, savydog and Toula like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use these points via the Qantas website to make a booking for FF flights. I just tried a dummy booking from LAX to JFK and it bought up availablity on AA flights.

savydog likes this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    What the clever wombat said :) Welcome to Mile Point, I liked your first post and that makes you part of an elite group :D

Toula likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Isn't the issue that for the OP to use his QF miles, he needs to find a way to top up his account to 25,000 miles. One way is probably to credit a short AA or other oneworld flight to QF but there might be other tricks, perhaps shopping that would work for presumably a USA resident, or just buying a few miles if this can be done cheaply. It would be a shame to waste so many miles, which will surely expire if there's no further activity in the OP's QF account.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I checked, if you are 15% short of the required points for a flight redemption, Qantas will allow you to purchase those points.

6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://qantas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/qantas.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=255

If I don't have enough points for an Award flight, can I buy points or pay cash for the difference?

Answer
    For Qantas & Partner Classic Awards and Qantas & Jetstar Any Seat Awards the points needed for the Award Flight need to be in your Frequent Flyer account. To reach the amount you can:
    • use Top-up points to buy up to 15% of the total number of points needed for an Award flight (minimum 500 and maximum 20,000 points). Terms and conditions apply.
    • Transfer points into your Frequent Flyer account from eligible family members.
    For Flight Bookings you can use Points Plus Pay. This feature allows Frequent Flyers to obtain flights with a combination of points and money – the more points used, the less money paid. Point levels start from as low as 5,000. To access, if you have logged in to Your Account and have the minimum points needed, select ‘Use Points Plus Pay’ on the Review page.

7. I guess my problem these days is that I fly out of BDL (to and from DTW most times) and there are not code shared flights. It seems Qantas flights are limited to JFK, LAX, DFW, DTW and in between those. Ideally I would like them to go to DL, but that is not going to happen (A few flights short of maintaining FO (That is silver medallion right)).

8. I just looked and Hartford showed up, but I can't seem to get non-Australian destinations