Transfer from FLL to MIA on 3/6/13

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by thepointstraveler, Feb 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. My wife and I are arriving in Fort Lauderdale on 3/6/13 at 2:10 and need to transfer to MIA for an 8:00pm flight. What would you recommend for the cheapest option to get from FLL to MIA?? I'm assuming taxi will NOT be the cheapest. Anyone have any suggestions or experience? The cheapest I have found so far is GO Airport Shuttle service at about $52 for the 2 of us. Thanks in advance!

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn... I was going to suggest a rental and spending the day stuffing your face with Cuban food but those rates are ridiculous...

Although I'm seeing rates of $69 for a prepaid res with Budget or $65 all-in with National. It's certainly more expensive than some of the other options, but you get to be on your own schedule and do whatever you want with your day.

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this recommendation. With nearly 6 hours, assuming no significant delays, you should easily be able to have late lunch at a cuban restaurant near MIA (Versailles on SW 8th, or one of several La Carreta locations other than the one at MIA itself, perhaps?), grab some pastries for snacking on your ex-FLL flight from a bakery like Don Pan, and make it to FLL with tons of time left for lounge sitting. Or if you prefer, grab pastries, have early dinner, then go to FLL. Do allow plenty of time for rush hour traffic though.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think he's going the other way though, but I like your plan... :)

Personally I'd just plan it so that it would work that way. It's a lot of time to kill, so just eat a heavy breakfast or pig out on the plane, then drive the 20 minutes to Padrino's near FLL and have a late lunch. Even with construction on a bad day, it shouldn't take more than an hour to drive the 25 miles to MIA... especially on a Wednesday afternoon.

I second that recommendation for La Carreta as well. The one on SW 8th street is within spitting distance of the airport, so head down there for lunch/early dinner then go lounge at the airport.

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. My brain totally processed it backward. But that makes it even easier because they can eat closer to the departing airport. I also like the suggestion of Padrino's in Ft. Lauderdale. Or, as I think further about how to maximize eating opportunities in FLL/MIA area--and why wouldn't someone want to do that?!... get rental car at FLL, go to nearest Pollo Tropicale for quick late lunch, go to beach for a few minutes, stop by a Don Pan or similar caribbean/South American bakery on the way toward MIA, have early dinner at La Carreta or Versailles, head to MIA for flight.

jbcarioca, tondoleo and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole idea makes me wanna take a trip actually... even more when I look at the projected foot+ of snow outside.

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    La Carreta is at MIA in Terminal D. I would recommend Villa Habana 3398 Coral Way. The food and service are much better than LC or Versailles. It is not "touristy" at all.

It is a 20 minute drive from there to MIA.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's why we were suggesting an LC location outside the airport. The only one I've been to is on SW 8th, although I remember seeing at least one more near the IC Doral when I stayed there last September.

jbcarioca, autolycus and tondoleo like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, six hours... any cheap MR opportunities that start in FLL and end in MIA in time for the next flight?

Hey, this is MP after all ;)

11. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If doing La Carreta, I would definitely go to one of the non-airport locations. The chain, amazingly enough, was recommended to me by no less than 4 Cuban-Americans for having the most consistently good and authentic cuisine and as places they go themselves. I was a little skeptical, but they weren't wrong. I have eaten at at least two different locations, and both had good service and good food. That said, your recommendation for Villa Habana will definitely be considered if/when I make it back down that way.

12. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    La Carreta is reliably tasty (I'm a gringo from Miami). You can do better, but it is definitely authentic. The arroz con pollo is tasty, as are their pastelitos and Cuban coffee. Fried plantains are also a personal requirement for any meal in Miami.

jbcarioca, viguera, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man this thread has me looking up JFK-MIA prices...

14. thepointstraveler

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  15. thepointstraveler

Status Points:
    You guys are making me seriously hungry!! I like the suggestions. I think I will have to work one of those restaurants into the plans! Thanks again for your help guys!

jbcarioca, autolycus, AUSsie and 2 others like this.
  16. thepointstraveler

Status Points:

Good point lol, I do have some Delta vouchers to burn... Might be a tight squeeze on the schedule though :)

17. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not be disappointed in VH.

jbcarioca, autolycus and AUSsie like this.
  18. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please remember to balance inexpensive with what you and your companion want to accomplish.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. thepointstraveler

Status Points:
    Ok, so I am thinking we will be checking out one of the local restaurants to kill some time and enjoy the trip a little more. That being said, I just found out last night that my wife is pregnant and there is no telling if she will still feel like getting a bite to eat or would rather lay on a couch at an airport lounge. (I sure hope she doesn't get morning sickness bad, she was really looking forward to Costa Rica!) That being said, what are eveyone's thoughts on the lounges at MIA? I have access to the Admirals Club, US Air Lounges, and I have some Lounge Club passes, but have never been in a lounge at MIA. Anyone have any experience in these lounges? Which are the best? Thanks again, you guys have all been great!

viguera, jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  20. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I have to contribute as a response is: Congratulations!

jbcarioca and thepointstraveler like this.
  21. thepointstraveler

Status Points:
    Thank you! It came as an unexpected surprise but I am pretty excited! Apparently I still haven't figured out how all that works, lol!

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grabbed a mid day Ropa Vieja $11 (no drink) at the MIA location after a few hours at the Admirals Club. I highly recommend it over the sushi at the club for the same price. My wife and I shared the dish, it was not two complete meals, but came close to it for us. For lower priced airport food it was good (lower price since its a complete meal). The cashier offered water cups and that wy wife could get a second plate for sharing in the cafeteria line.

autolycus likes this.
  23. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stopped at Villa Havana on the way back to FLL during a MR trip to the Everglades, and it was delicious! If you like this, you might also like Versailles in its 3 locations in Los Angeles. Not sure if there's any affiliation with the Florida folks, but it's a great MR destination near LAX.

autolycus and viguera like this.
  24. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gosh, just found this thread. I am doing a MR to FLL next month. In FLL at 5:00 pm and out 6:00 am next morning. Have a Hertz for about $20 ai.. If you were driving on a Saturday Night where would you go? I like Cuban and have been to Calle Ocho before and I did enjoy Versallies. Since I am arriving FLL and Departing FLL would you change much that is in this thread? Thanks and Safe Travels..

autolycus and viguera like this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait are you staying somewhere or literally just sleeping in the car or something? :)

There's plenty to do in FLL but the nightlife is obviously not as good as MIA. The question is if you drive down then do you want to have to stay sober to drive back (assuming you're spending the night in FLL). You could try to spend the night in MIA and drive up at the crack of dawn -- depending on the day of the week the only thing you'd need to worry about that time of day would be highway patrol.