Transfer from Delta to US Air

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by jgny391, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jgny391

jgny391 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am new to this. I have over 2 million delta , amex and united points but I need to fly us air Any ideas of how to do that ?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy a ticket, redeem united miles, transfer amex to eg aeroplan or ana and book there, pay with points...

Delta is the one currency you mention that you can't use here.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    What mattsteg said. In general, airline miles are intended to increase loyalty so they are extremely difficult (or expensive) to move around between airlines. Your only chance might be to try points.com or some forum where you can trade bookings (you book DL for them, they book US for you).

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since reward flights don't typically accrue mileage or segment credit towards elite status, I recommend holding on to your Delta points and using them for one heck of a vacation. Any transfer of your Delta points into another program will cost your dearly unless you find someone to trade with. If you need a travel companion, just let me know when and where you want to meet. You cover the flights, I'll take care of the hotels.

For Amex points, I've found the best value to be with redeeming for store gift cards (e.g. Home Depot, etc.)--which can equate to about 1 - 2% cash back equivalent.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    With two million miles/points, you can't be all that new. :)

The way to do this is leverage the fact that US Airways is a member of Star Alliance, and you can use miles from other Star Alliance members to book flights on US Airways. United is in Star Alliance, and AMEX Membership Reward points are transferable to a number of different airlines in Star Alliance.

How many United and AMEX miles do you have, and what is your targeted US Airways flight (and how many tickets do you need).