Transfer Delta Airline Miles into Hotel Loyalty Program

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sandratravels, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    I would like to know which hotel loyalty program do you find to be most advantageous and/or that you prefer to transfer Delta Airline miles into? I currently have AMEX Green card and I have some flexibility to move between other frequent flyer and frequent guest programs.

Thank you in advance for your response(s).
    -Sandra

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    None and none.

I'm actually pretty sure that there is no reasonable transfer path out of SkyMiles into any hotel programs. And, sadly, Membership Rewards points don't do particularly well moving to hotel programs.

3. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. SkyMiles (like many airline programs) is a roach motel, you can move miles or points in but they don't move out.

You can use SkyMiles to book hotel rooms, but the redemption rates are considered to be mostly pretty poor.

David

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

I must for once partly defend SM against harsh criticism.

*paging cardiac team to MP readership, worldwide, cat 3 emergency*.....

It is true that SM usually sucks rocks but I will say I found decent hotel redemptions for BKK and CNX and car rentals at FLL and other places that were quite a good value, back when I was GM and could still redeem via SM Marketplace without the need for a DL AmEx. Now that I don't want to waste a credit hit on DL Amex, even for bonus, it's not so helpful because FO's don't have Marketplace access. Unlike AA, where AAdvantage cardholders get real and meaningful discounts on redemptions (half the mileage for car rental at LIH and HNL and hotel in HNL for instance)

5. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    Thank you for the feedback. I will look into redemption of airline miles for future hotel room stays. At this point, I am planning to focus airline travel with United and Southwest. However, I have a greater need for future hotel stays.

-Sandra