Transfer Amex MR points to Hilton honors at 1:2; good deal?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by lycidas1, Nov 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if there's already a thread on transfers; I searched and could not find anything.

Amex Membership Rewards is currently running an offer where I could transfer MR points to HHonors at a 1:2 ratio (e.g. get 50000 HHonors points for 25000 MR points). I'm new to the HHonors thing, so I'm not sure if this is a good deal or if better promotions come along. Any thoughts/insight?

2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, not a good deal, IMHO. Hilton points are worth far less than MR points (even with a 2:1 exchange rate). 50,000 HH Points is the standard reward level for many hotels for a night.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HHonors AmEx card gives you 3 points per $, which is still more than this. MR transfers into hotel programs are generally not advisable because of poor transfer ratios.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends what you value. If you value long haul premium cabin international travel, then definitely a bad trade. If you move 80k mr points to ba, you could get a business class ticket to London from ny. The price on such a ticket would be $5,000 to $8,000, depending on the market at the time.

Those same points (say 75k) would transfer to 150k Hilton points...enough for 3 nights at a hotel at 50k a night. Assuming $500 a night rack rate (probably high for a Hilton), that would be $1,500 of value.

But...if you have no desire to go to London in business class...then perhaps the hotel redemption is the way to go for you. It really depends on what you value. The biggest bang for the MR point is long haul business and first class travel.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends.... like everything else around here.:) but say it not a good deal it really is not a bad one.
    Personally I consider 50k Hh points to be equivalent to 25k airline miles.

1) So an exchange of 25k MR points normally translate into 25k airline miles (unless you comparing skypesos of course) On another thread some members are bemoaning the cessation of the two for one AA conversion to HH points.

Depending on how to many airline miles you already have the 25k miles will get you a max value domestic R/T of say $600.00 but the 50k HH points can get you a room HH cat 7 property such as the Conrad Tokyo, room rate usually about $600.00

2) If you need or intend to use the converted points to top up an account or redeem a reduced HH award say an AXON.

Note that it not true to say 50k points is the "standard reward level" there are 8 HH reward levels.

6. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone; I really appreciate your input. I'm going to hold off transferring anything until something more lucrative comes along. I'm currently hyatt plat, SPG gold and hilton gold and trying to decide who to focus on next year. Thanks again, and happy cyber monday! Try not to pepper spray anyone.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with the transfer, with the 3 programs mentioned, the best option depends on a lot of personal factors.

How many total stays/nights do you anticipate? Is top-tier something that is realistic?
    What benefits to you value most?
    Where do you expect to stay? SPG and especially Hyatt have much more limited coverage, while there is nearly always a Hilton property available.
    Of course budget, personal preference, and work vs. personal travel also come into play.

I'd like to do Hyatt, but can't, at least in terms of reaching top tier. Just not enough coverage. I stay at Starwood properties whenever realistic, and maintain top-tier with them. I tried staying at Hyatts for a while this year, but there just aren't enough for my travel patterns. Absent either of those, I stay at Hilton properties, and am Diamond there (common advice is that Gold is just about as good as Diamond) nearly by accident. A couple of conference stays and I ended up Marriott Silver, but I avoid Marriott in general.

If you focus on SPG or Hyatt, make sure they have enough coverage to get you the stays you need. Both are great programs, but with a weaker footprint that may or may not matter.

8. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called MR last night and was told they for every 1000 MR points you transfer you get 1500 HH points. You might want to double check the 2:1 deal.

9. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's not universal, but when I log into my account it's showing a limited time offer for a 2:1 transfer.

10. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just another note, the more points on HH side you end up with the better are the value. So someone used an example of 75,000 MR points to 150,000 HH points and they said that it would be good for 3 ngihts at 50k/night at top Hilton property. Actually you can redeem 145,000 points for 4 nights with AXON7 (Amex Hiton Card) promotion, so you will end up with more value. Same goes for redeeming 6 nights at a time at 225,000 points. So there is some value to these points and you don't have to pay fule surcharges, unlike BA.

Cheers,

PedroNY

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The multinight discounted awards are, of course, contingent on longer stays fitting your travel patterns. Personally, I don't generally stay the same place 6 nights in a row.

225k Hilton points, at the rate discussed here, are over 110k MR points. 110k MR points can transfer to quite a few airline miles, nearly enough to fly most anywhere in the world in business class, depending on who you transfer to. It can be a reasonable transfer if you have definitive plans (equivalent to a $3500 stay on bora-bora, for example). With a transfer bonus to DL, the business class ticket you could get on points to get there in the first place would cost more to purchase.