Transfer AA miles to Hotel Loyalty Program

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sandratravels, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    I would like to know which hotel loyalty program do you find to be most advantageous and/or that you prefer to transfer American Airline miles into? I currently have AMEX Green card and I have some flexibility to move between other frequent flyer and frequent guest programs.

Thank you in advance for your response(s).
    -Sandra

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    While many hotel programs permit conversion to various FF programs, AA miles can't be transferred readily to hotel programs. This must be done through an intermediary like points.com and the exchange rates are horrible.

OceanBreezes and jbcarioca like this.
  3. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    Thank you for the feedback. I will look into redemption of airline miles for future hotel room stays. At this point, I am planning to focus airline travel with United and Southwest. However, I have a greater need for future hotel stays.

-Sandra

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Do you already have a bunch of airline miles? If not, you may be better off getting a card like the SPG Amex and collecting hotel points that way.

5. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    I actually have very little (2600 miles) with AA. I was hoping to transfer the miles into hotel points, so that I can book future hotel rooms. I have a greater need for hotel points, than airlines miles. I am considering getting the Citi Hilton Honors card in the future.

Other than redeeming the miles through AA, do you know of another avenue I can transfer the miles into, then transfer them into hotel points?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    -Sandra

6. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:

There's a tool that I've always found helpful to show what conversion options exist:

http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

Having said that, I don't believe you will find that your 2,600 AA miles will yield much in the way of hotel points. If I were in your situation, I'd just use those to book a hotel directly with AA, or on another redemption option (with each conversion, significant value is often lost)

Good luck!

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree with miamigrad here. Not enough AA points to develop a hotel redemption strategy. Where geographically and what types of properties do you expect to redeem at? That will likely help identify the best chain for you to focus on.