Transborder connection in YYC

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Jan 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am flying YWG-YYC-PHO. I am flying with carry-on and connection time is 1 and 1/2 hours.
    The YYC website is quite mute on details for transborder connections.
    Any details/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a very general rule, immigration and customs formalities are done before boarding the transboarder flights to the USA. This tends to mean that checkin and bag drop deadlines, usually in a separate terminal or area of the airport, are earlier than for USA domestic flights. It also means that after this step is done, you will not have access to other areas of the airport and facilities, including lounges, are limited. When you arrive at your destination in the USA, everything will be as if you had arrived from another USA airport; you will be mixed in with departing passengers and just follow exit and ground transportation arrivals signs, which usually lead through the baggage claim area.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your response.
    I am aware of these formalities and my request was not precise enough. My apologies.....
    I need details on the physical layout of YYC domestic -------> transborder.
    I usually connect either in YYZ or YUL. YYC is a first for me

4. its not dissimilar from YUL or YYZ. You must exit the secure domestic area which is usually pod A if on AC and go over to the US counters about mid way in the terminal to then go through US immigration and customs kiosks as well as security.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I don't remember layouts of specific Canadian airports well enough to help on this. There must be airport information on their webpage that shows where the trans order check in, processing, and gate areas are located. If your carrier has many connections through YYC, they might also have an airport map on their website. Another trick that sometimes works for me is to check flight status for a few days to see the typical gate assignments and then look at either PriorityPass lounge locations or one of the websites such as Wandering Aramean that have lounge information. This can help you to identify which carriers use which concourses.

In any event, you should move quickly to the transborder area as sometimes the lines can be long with IME generally no elite lines except where NEXUS or GE is recognized.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.....and I am flying AC.

7. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    For your YYC Connection, looks like you are arriving on the 13:30 CRJ flight from YWG. This flight almost always arrives on th A concourse, likely gate A1. If it is A1 get your walking shoes on as its long walk but a good time to stretch your legs.

The AC Express regional gates spill out onto arrivals level, where as the mainline gates spill onto the departure level. If at Express gates, on exit from the walkway look left and take the staircase to the second floor departures area. The domestic MLL is directly accross from the A Security area. If the flights are on time you can duck into the MLL for a quick break, desk agent will warn you about the walking time and preclearance formalities.

On exit from the MLL or at departure level, proceed out the usual exit, there will be an escalator and security entrance. Keep walking down the corridor with retail on either side. There is a full service tim hortons (opposed to the kiosks that are post security within each concourse) to your left. Above on third floor is a food court with Subway, A&W, Edo Japan, Sbarro, Second Cup, etc. To get to US customs keep walking along the corridor until Montanas Saloon opens up. THere will also be a meeting place sign for "B" area.

Once at Montanas/meeting area B, Turn right and walk towards the check in desks. On the floor beside the checkin desks will be a sign directing travellers to US connections. As you walk into the checkin hall, look left and there will be a corridor behind the checkin desks. If you have boarding card for PHX AC1285, use this corridor to get to US Customs. If you don't have a boarding card for AC1285, look right and there will be the checkin desks for AC US departures. IF you cannot locate the narrow corridor for US Customs, then proceed to the front side of the checkin desks and walk to your left. About halfway down the checkin desk line up (after UA, CO, and US checkin) is the main entrance to US Customs. Immediately at USCBP entrance is a Commissionaire. The Commissionaire will ask to see your Boarding Card and completed blue customs form. There are desks at the main entrance if you have not completed the blue customs form. Also the Commissionaire will check to see that you are within 2 hours of departure time (not relevant in your specific connection instance, but there is usually a line up of travellers waiting for the 2 hours entrance time for their flight.

Once past the Comissionaire there is a bag belt to pick up any connecting checked bags. On the other side of the hall is duty free. Beside the duty free booth is the entrance to Nexus lanes. If you have Nexus card, mention this to the Commissionaire and they will direct you to the Nexus lane.Also if you have a Nexus card the 2 hour tiem limit does not apply.

Expect US Customs to be busy for your flight to PHX. WS, and US also have flights to PHX (all mainline service) that leave at the same time. Additionally UA has flights to ORD and DEN that leave about this time.

Beyond US CBP and Security, there is not much in the way of amenities. Harvey's, Tims Kiosk, Starbucks, Jugo Juice, and news stand are about it. Amex has a small lounge but there is no MLL. The better meals are in the food court that is presecurity.

milchap and canucklehead like this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Cage.

9. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    outstanding detail!
    two bad (sllllooooowwww) experiences with YYC transborder is the reason why I got NEXUS- highly recommended for this airport. the AMEX lounge is really, really nice- feels like the rec room my rich uncle would have in the Rockies somewhere- makes the inevitable flight delays out of YYC worth it (a bit!)

10. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the flipside of this, I'm flying PDX-YYC-YYZ. Connection time is one hour (legal connection as posted by AC) Should I be concerned? I've never connected in YYC, let alone gone through Customs. I do have Nexus.

Can anyone advise me as to what I should expect?