Trans-Atlantic Upgrades for half the mileage.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    The offer:
    How it worked out: I did not call the number I was supposed to because it is in Israel and it is late Friday afternoon here -- meaning that the country is closed. Instead, I called Customer Service. They had never heard of this offer but once I gave them the promotion reference code (97020524) they were able to look it up.
    I got an M fare TLV-LAS (connecting in JFK), LAS-ATL (with a four day layover) and ATL-TLV (non-stop with lie back seats) for $2478.02, all in. That, at least, was the price they quoted me. The receipt came in at $2453.02.

The rep told me that the Q fare upgrades were available but I wouldn't get confirmation of this for 24 hours. I didn't agree to that as I was afraid that they would disappear. She then made a telephone call to someone else and it was arranged for me to get the confirmation while I was on the phone.

I had expected this to cost me 37,500 SkyMiles. It is usually 25,000 each way for a Trans-Atlantic stop without a layover, but with the half-price offer it should have come to 12,500 SkyMiles TLV-LAS and 12,500 ATL-TLV. I figured I would get hit another 12,500 for the LAS-ATL segment, but I didn't. I was only debited the 25,000.

Of course, I will be visiting both LAS and ATL in August and for most people that means I should be entitled to hardship pay, but for someone who lives in Israel it is almost like an Artic vacation. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

mtkeller and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the promotion - have a good trip! :)

Dovster likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a hardship to go somewhere with plentiful air conditioning and free booze?

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... stuff is so far away in Vegas now that only the uninitiated walk around from place to place to see the sights. Free AC and free valet mean I drive from place to place when I'm in town. :)

rwoman likes this.
  5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be my third trip to LAS in the last year. I haven't rented a car there yet.

I actually enjoy walking around cities -- but in LAS in August, I may sleep during the day and do my walking around at night.

eponymous_coward and rwoman like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's only 130° at night so you should be ok... :)

I never used to rent in LAS, but I only go there for leisure, which means gambling, restaurants and shows. The $15-20 cab fare 2-3 times a day adds up even if it's just a weekend, so the last couple of times I just picked up a compact at the airport.

I figured even if I never use it, it's always good to have the option if I don't feel like dealing with the monorail or the cabs, or if I want to take a drive down to Hash House a Go Go or In and Out.

rwoman and Dovster like this.
  7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My problem in renting is that I live in Israel and thus am required to buy all insurance to rent -- that sends the price sky high.

(Even the insurance which I am supposed to get for free with my American-issued Amex is invalid because I don't have an American residence.)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that makes sense, and sucks for you. But you need to find an American travel buddy with a clean license and insurance.

Come to think of it, next time you're in Vegas I'll rent a car so we can drive around... you just need to cover my expenses (travel from NYC and hotel). :)

9. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, if I'm around, I can do some chauffering. I promise to keep the 'illegal, only of I get caught turns' to a minimum :p .

eponymous_coward, viguera and Dovster like this.
  10. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a wonderful offer!

11. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note to BamaGirl: I would especially be interested in getting a ride to one of the city's more romantic spots -- a coin laundry.

(In addition to the obvious benefit of leaving with clean clothes, it would allow me, for once, to put money in a Vegas machine and actually get something out at the end.)

12. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dovster, darling, that works out perfectly!

As you know, I recently bought a house in Arizona. From there it is just a hop, skip, and jump to Reno -- and I will be going there at the end of July to divorce Tod.

I can fly right down to Vegas as soon as the ink is dry on my divorce papers and meet you at http://www.theelvisweddingchapel.com/

(Just don't tell that BamaGirl woman about this. I don't want her stealing both my idea and you.)

13. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sarah P., that is a good idea but why waste the time going to the wedding chapel?

After careful research, I verified that Las Vegas bellhops are authorized to officiate at marriages. In fact, we can have one do it in the elevator on the way to our honeymoon suite.

The service is free (although a tip would be in order) and the marriages are valid for an entire week.