Trans-Atlantic in Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingFree, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news....just found out about a last minute trip (from US) to Copenhagen.
    Bad news....will need to be in Economy on a Star Alliance carrier.

Anyone had recent experience in Int'l Economy with Continental, SAS, Lufthansa or United to recommend on over the other?

Of cource UA has Economy Plus, and the extra room is a plus for a big guy like me. But would be nice to hear from you if you've done this recently...thanks!

2. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch on the TATL Economy seating!! :(

I don't have an TATL experience with Star Alliance but I have been very pleased with UA+ domestically and to Hawaii.
    That's probably your best bet all things considered.

Cholula likes this.
  3. mhf
    Original Member

mhf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently did SFO->LHR->SFO on United in E+ and it was fine. I generally take the extra legroom over any other advantage (food, etc.) when flying economy.

Miles, Freddie Listo and Gargoyle like this.
  4. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good grief... I'm looking at DEN-ICN in economy. I'd love TATL in economy.

Freddie Listo and Cholula like this.
  5. I found the service in SAS quite pleasant and better than TPAC United; SAS had nice warm bread and edible meals which I cannot say is true for United. FA were also more pleasant and attentive.I did a couple of LH TATL which were not as good as SAS, but those were in planes which may have since been phased out. Still E+ probably would compensate for the generally crappier service and terrible food on United. Given I do all of my flying in Y (I'm still young) and am extremely short, I may not be the best judge on this!

6. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me legroom and space trump all so it would be UA E+, certainly if you're a big guy.

chollie, Miles and Freddie Listo like this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that on the US-based carriers there are no (or limited) free drinks in TATL Y. Depending on how long your legs are, there may be a drink/space trade-off decision worth considering.

8. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't aware of that, but I'm lucky if I have one glass of wine a year, so alcohol isn't an issue!

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind them, but I actually think the UA E+ seats are pretty comfortable. No serious complaints from times I've flown AC.

Miles and Freddie Listo like this.
  10. Some routes may have changed, but between DL, UA and LH. I think LH has better entertainment system and newer or better kept planes.

Bob Smolinsky and Freddie Listo like this.
  11. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to a combination of price and flight times, will be doing UA DEN-ORD, SAS ORD-CPH on the outbound, and CPH-LHR on SAS, then LHR-ORD and ORD-DEN on UA.

Never flown SAS...can add another airline to my repertoire, and will have E+ at worst on the UA segments...

Thanks everyone for your input...

Freddie Listo likes this.
  12. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, now that IS rough!

I did a status/mileage run SFO-SYD last year...exit rows....all 3 seats filled with medium to large men outbound (not much sleep) but inbound had exit row to myself (good sleep).

And yes, even tho I was in E+, I changed into my Qantas-issue kangaroo PJ's on both flights!

13. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may have changed in the last couple of years but LH economy was not worth the booze. An absolutely miserable experience.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It hasn't changed. Not at all.

Regarding the free booze argument, that's like $50 if you pay for it (8-10 drinks). No way I'd suffer in LH Y voluntarily for $50 in "free" booze.

Not listed was AC. I did TATL with them in January and found it quite pleasant. Both CO and UA have seats with extra leg room (UA has more of them but both have them) and if you want to pay for that it isn't bad. CO has better IFE (more important westbound) and power at the seats. Dunno anything about SK longhaul but it probably isn't all that bad.

mht_flyer likes this.
  15. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with several posters above: For tall folks, E+ is really worth the cost.

Off topic a bit: Take some earplugs, in case one of your neighbors is a snorer. My most miserable TATL was due to a snorer behind me on a full plane.

mhf likes this.
  16. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your opinion of AC. I just had a weird seatmate (female) - she was strange.

17. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm short and legroom trumps food and beverage any day. IFE also trumps food and beverage. TATL with overhead IFE? Yikes! I always have a book, but I still like the option of personal IFE. If I'm pushed, I can always bring my own food and I'll live without the beverages if I have to. I flew CO last year and was happy with my exit row, but I have also been generally satisfied with DL (exit rows).

OP, please give us feedback when you get back! I'm sure I'm not the only flyer condemned to the back of the bus through necessity or choice! I'm always interested in the latest updates, particularly on seating and IFE!

18. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL is updating a lot of their TATL this year to new Airbus....

piqaro likes this.
  19. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on the SK vs. UA transatlantic legs. As for others, the extra space in E+ is the most important consideration for me when I book transatlantic flights. I'll be trying out AC in a few weeks for the first time. The thing to be cautious about SK flights are the low mileage accrual rates in many discounted economy fare classes when credited to Mileage Plus.

20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    SAS has 32" pitch and is pretty roomy. Row 31 is the best in Economy. Planes are new and fresh, plenty of channels on your private TV, same as in business, same as AVOD, but you can't start and stop the show you are watching.

Not that I would ever venture back there, but if I was to choose between UA and SK, I would take SK Economy any day of the week.

You might also consider the option of upgrading to Economy Extra (premium Economy). It can be as little as 145 dollars one way. More here: https://www.optiontown.com/Worldwide_Sites.do;jsessionid=1A8E55C4EE91BAC1C1DA30640BAE3C5B

FlyingFree and Gargoyle like this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    WHOA!!!

If you are flying TATL on LH there is a pretty decent chance you're on a 744. They are the epitome of a BAD idea in whY and the definitely do not have a better IFE system. Even their F IFE system is pretty crappy.

If the choice is between SK and UA I'd probably take SK though it depends to some extent on the aircraft UA is using. Their retrofitted planes with the new IFE aren't horrible. The older configs, on the other hand...

chemist562 likes this.
  22. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I made several LAX-SIN trips on UA. The first trips were in E+ (back in 2002, comped Prem Ex) until I earned 1K. Not too bad in E+ (the LAX-NRT were in 747's, 777's seats are 1" wider and was better with more updated entertainment.

I would take E+ but know there may be no AVOD and inferior food/beverage choices. I flew DEN-FRA on LH econ and hated the seats. :mad: The only good thing about that LH flight (in 2002 or 2003) was I wasn't bored due to the number of FTers on that flight. (I only paid $137ai as it was a mistake fare. :)). I wasn't in my seat much of the time. [​IMG]

I would take UA and try to get the 777 if possible.

23. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I agree! (see my post above). I was on a 744 back in 2002 or 2003 when I flew DEN-FRA on a $137ai mistake fare. My back was in pain on both flights. That flight did help me make 1K that year so I can't complain too much about that.

24. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will let you know after I fly somewhere around 50K mostly international miles in economy and essentially full planes in the next few weeks (this includes 2 east coast to JPN trips). This will be the first time without free beverages for me on a long haul. I must admit on two recent flights one AA and the other CO as transcons the AA flight was markedly better as far as room! Someday I will have status - earning it is hard work though.[​IMG]

25. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks....already tried calling for the exit rows but they are booked....will ask again at ORD upon check-in. Will also see what they're charging for EE. Glad to hear some positive things about SK...I will report back on the experience next month after the flight.