Tranferring to US Airways

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted a few days ago that my wife and I are adopting a little son from Ethiopia. I have about 250k with Delta which if I can finagle delta.com should get us a business class ticket to ADD.

I just read (ht lucky) that Ethiopian Airways completed alignment with the Star Alliance and confirmed that there was award availability direct from IAD-ADD using the ANA tool. Problem is I only have 120k US Airways miles. My wife has an additional 70k but I'm frustrated I can't transfer MR or UR to US Airways. I looked into transferring MR points to SPG then from SPG to US Airways but I loose 2/3 of my points on the transfer to SPG.

I don't actually fly US Airways...ever. All my miles are from my Barclay CC and the grand slam.

How can I get more miles into my dividend miles account?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    daemon14 likes this.
  3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    You can fly to Addis Ababa on KLM from Amsterdam.

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on my end, too!

US to Africa is 110K in J and I think the direct IAD-ADD would really help you out, especially on the return journey when you have your son with you. Until 12/31, you can get the 40K for your wife's account for $700. They post instantly when you purchase them, so you just have to make sure that the space is available with an agent over the phone, click purchase, and boom, your miles are there.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right about ADD via AMS but the delta award engine is broken. On days when I can find a flight there often isn't business class availability and regardless of the class of service it is always 200K. I plan on flying Delta to ADD the first trip (for court) and then taking US Airways the second trip (to receive my son).

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An Expert Flyer subscription can really help you out by searching KLM and Air France availability. You may have to take AF across the Atlantic (IAD-CDG availability is supposed to be good), connect on a CityHopper flight to AMS, then fly out to ADD on KLM.

7. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of a tangent to this question, but has anyone had any problems booking award travel together with two different accounts like the OP?

I'm about to do some award travel with my wife using bought miles in each of our accounts. My impression is that as long as the space is there, it shouldn't be a problem but I wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing.