Tracking/Listing SWUable fares

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put together a tool some time ago for tracking SWUable fares on United. At that time some folks asked me about doing something similar for Delta. The data wasn't particularly easy to get at and I'm generally lazy so I blew it off and didn't think much more about it. Fast forward a couple months and the fare data source I was using dropped offline, forcing me to rethink and re-engineer the whole thing anyways. And while I was at it I discovered that getting the appropriate data for Delta SWUs wasn't so much more work. As such, I'm happy to introduce the Delta SWUable Fares tool.

Today is the first day that I've been collecting data so there are a number of rough edges on it, but the basic functionality is mostly working. The map is not functional right now (should be tomorrow) and there is only data for a handful of departure cities so far, but the harvesting tools are running and that should catch up soon enough.

If you scroll down past the map you'll see a list of price points, departure cities and destination cities for which you can query data:

[​IMG]

Pick a city (I chose ATL) and you'll get a list of all the fares, including CPM based on point-to-point distances, from low to high. This also works for destination cities.

[​IMG]

I used the same list of cities for O/D pairs for the Delta queries as I use for the United ones. It is roughly 5000 pairs but if the one(s) you are looking for aren't listed leave a comment here and I'll add them in.

This is very much in the early stages right now so I don't expect it to be perfect. Amongst the improvements that I have on my task list (other than getting the map working) are adding in the alert function that will send you an email based on parameters you can set (e.g. all fares between ATL and ARN or any fares < $2000). I also plan to fix the fare history tracking functionality to watch trends and such.

Please give it a look and let me know what you think. Feedback is much appreciated and I'll do what I can to make the tool more useful for the community.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to see MSP has populated since I last checked yesterday. Nice tool, even if the SWUs at Delta are of questionable utility.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A couple quick updates on the tool....

1) I've pretty much resolved the data collection issues so the content should now be complete. There will still be holes in the data every morning Eastern time while the data for the day populates, but it wraps up pretty early so once the work day starts it should be solid.

2) I've added alerts for the Delta bits now. You can set up price point thresholds and city pairs and it will email you if that day's feed has the fare you're looking for in it. You can also set it open-ended on the cities at either end, so something like all $1800 fares from ATL or all $2000 fares to BAH or even all $1500 fares are possible alert setups.

3) Fare history is populating now, too. Useful for watching pricing trends over time. Of course, with only a couple weeks worth of history in it right now but that data set will grow over time.

There are some screenshots of what it looks like here and the tool is here.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

cwpfly and infradig like this.
  4. Wow, this is great. Would it be possible to add MAN and LGW as destinations?
    What about ex-EU departures? Nice job.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Adding a couple more destinations shouldn't be a problem. I didn't have LGW in the list because it started as a UA tool and they don't fly to LGW. I simply forgot MAN. Might take a day or two but they should start to show up soon enough.

As for ex-EU, I technically can do it but it becomes an issue of the time and expense required to collect and store the data Thus far demand for it has been reasonably low so I haven't made the investment. That said, I do reconsider the request every now and then and I'll add your's to the list of people asking after it.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for this and the UA tools! As time becomes more precious, I am looking for ways to gather MQMs more quickly and use my system-wide upgrade certs at the same time. Safe travels!

7. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tools.... I have let DL SWUs expire worthless in the past.... this will help me decide whether to choose them again.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    These should show up in the data feed for 9 February. It generally is done populating around 8-9am Eastern, though departure airports earlier in the alphabet will be done earlier.

ETA: Oh, and it now displays data sorted by CPM, not fare. :cool: