Tracking Down Passengers

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Casey Friday, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way to view the manifest for a flight online? I know the possible day of travel, and I want to see if a certain individual was on a flight.

Or is that crazy illegal?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not illegal, per se, but good luck getting that information from the airline. They generally tend to view privacy of their customers as slightly more important than you finding out if a friend was on a flight.

That's why even when they show "names" on upgrade lists it isn't the full names.

3. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got it. Thanks for the info!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it. Airlines have cited their privacy policy. Makes sense though. Estranged/vindictive/suspicious spouses, creditors, and a host of others could use the list for inappropriate reasons.

5. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been on a flight and asked the FA if they could tell me where someone I also knew was on the the flight was seated and they obliged. But I was already on the plane and they had the list in their hand. I introduced myself first and explained why briefly and they seemed happy with that.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes they view the question of who is on a flight as a security issue. For example, if you try to call and ask whether person X whom you are meeting in the airport made a tight connection from a late inbound aircraft, US airlines will probably refuse to tell you, although they might if you're elite or if you're connected to the person somehow, perhaps by having shared a PNR.

Are you trying to check whether you saw some celebrity in an airport? If it's even a very minor celebrity, the airlines will be especially not inclined to answer based on privacy.

7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was looking for a reason similar to those listed above. Based on the replies I see here - and my basic common sense - I highly doubt they would oblige. It's okay; I'm not worried about it any more, at this point.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would be VERY concerned if you WERE able to get such information.....there are a myriad of security and privacy issues involved....