Trackdot Tracks Your Baggage and Informs You Via Phone

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.devicemag.com/2013/01/07/trackdot-tracks-your-baggage-and-informs-you-via-phone/

What’s the worst thing you encounter when you travel through air? Obviously it would be finding that you and your luggage are not in the same airport!

Lost baggages are a frequent complaint among fliers, and some airlines wouldn’t even have a clue as to where these bags have trotted off. One person’s misfortune is another person’s gain, or so they say, so it’s no surprise that some folks have found a way to make money out of the incompetence of airline services.

Globaltrac, based in Los Angeles, will be one among the many companies at CES this year. They will be displaying their Trackdot, which is a small, battery-powered device that aims to find you your bags.

[​IMG]

The device would be packed in one of your bags, and it will track the bag’s journey, irrespective of the airport it might end up in. The gadget uses GSM to send messages, as the Federal Aviation Authority won’t allow devices like these to use GPS.

The messages are sent directly to the cell phone which you assign it to, and you can assign it to as many cellphones as you wish. So, next time you land at Heathrow, and you receive a message saying that your bag is at JFK, at least you will know where your baggage is, although it is a pain anyway.

Read More: http://www.devicemag.com/2013/01/07/trackdot-tracks-your-baggage-and-informs-you-via-phone/

autolycus and FrankieC like this.
  2. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just read about this on cnn.com talking about fun and odd gadgets from CES.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The gadget uses GSM to send messages, as the Federal Aviation Authority won’t allow devices like these to use GPS."

:confused:

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if they would be okay with GLONASS instead of GPS then :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh..I much prefer my home made baggage tracker...its called "Pack an efficient carry on." Makes sure I always know where my bag is and so far, it has not been lost once!

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    sounds like a great idea.. would definitely get one for my skis and golf clubs

7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be surprised if the FAA actually lets people use these. The device will have to be on while in cargo, which means the battery will have to be in it, which means there's a chance of a short, and a fire.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per FAA, battery powered devices need to be protected from accidental power on, but nothing says they can be powered on purpose... With March release date, I suspect there is no issue here.

autolycus likes this.
  9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... I guess I have always seen the instructions and assume they just meant all batteries must be pulled for stuff in checked bags. This device also has another problem: if an airport mode phone or tablet will "interfere" with instruments, won't this, since it'll be trying to connect to GSM towers constantly?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As this is essentially a specialized cellphone, don't the same rules apply as for cellphones carried by passengers? Turned off completely for take-off and landing, no cellular radio enabled during flight.

autolycus likes this.