TR Interest? SkyTeam Craziness (JFK-LAX-SYD-CAN-SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by goodandclassy, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I just booked the above journey with scheduling optimization and mileage maximization in mind.

I've thought to do a trip report for a while, but I don't think many people care for JFK-SEA or LGA-ATL runs :)

This trip came to me one very late night in the office, and if it all works well, will give me the opportunity to mark off another continent on which I've set foot and give me the opportunity to experience an airline that is not widely known (CZ) or documented.

Segments are on DL mostly, with the exception of CZ for the SYD-CAN-SIN run.

Would you be interested in my documenting the experience? What in particular should I focus on, if anything?
    Comment away

Dates are May 15- May 22, so it's coming up quickly :)

Cheers

2. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do it your style! :)
    I love airline food pictures. :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, certainly. I like CZ's domestic FC but I've never seen their long haul planes.

I hope you've checked on visa requirements for CAN. Probably visa-free transit applies, but be sure!

4. goodandclassy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alright!

I read mixed (read: neutral at best) reviews of the 772 product. The 332 is supposedly better, and I _might_ get to try it in a few weeks. The SYD-CAN flight is notoriously late, and I only have an 80-min layover in CAN. There is a (decent) chance I may have to scrap the CZ segments in favor of a different itinerary...

I should be OK visa-wise in light of layover duration - but thank you for the reminder!!! :D

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've generally heard that CZ longhaul coach can be miserable because it's too tightly packed, with one more across than other carriers do on the same aircraft types and possibly slightly less pitch. (I don't remember the numbers.) I wouldn't expect great food and wine in CZ longhaul business class. IFE rather inferior and not a big selection of stuff in English.

In the worst case, what would happen if a delay causes you to miss your connection and you must overnight in CAN? Would you be able to leave the airport and go to a hotel without a visa? Will there be any issues with airlines letting you board because they believe you need a visa? (It would be wise to carry a copy of the rules with you.)

6. goodandclassy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you are absolutely right! crammed Y, shady-looking meals, no power, etc. Thankfully, I am in J, yet I am not hoping for an sq-like experience.

I've loaded several movies and a couple of seasons of mad men and boardwalk empire for AVOD :D

The overnight in CAN can be detrimental - i do have a meeting to present at on wed morning (presumably i get in tue night)
    I would have done dl all the way, but with the 115 am arrival, that would give me all of 4 hours to sleep. i figured i'd risk it via syd but stand a chance to get in at a decent hour (9 PM) and sleep in a real bed.

there is a fair chance i will end up swapping last moment to an SQ/QS nonstop the day of flight,just to make sure i get in o time... but i won't really know until t-1

Thank you for the great advice! You clearly have a lot of experience in the area - and I have enjoyed your other posts here and there as the information has been to the point, precise, and accurate.

travelinmike33 and jmrich1432 like this.
  7. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto!

I'll be looking forward to your TR goodandclassy. Sounds interesting!

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Looking forward....

9. Noland

Noland Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to your trip report, goodandclassy

10. goodandclassy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alright! Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The trip ended up being a lot simpler and less varied (No CZ :-/), but I hope it would make for an interesting read once I finish.

The actual routing was EWR-SIN (SQ) / SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK (DL). It can be called "the marginally declining business class experience" :D

i look forward to sharing - i just need to get my things in order first...

SQ LPP, Junca and Rlpro like this.