TPE-NRT Around New Year?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by misterbwong, Jun 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been checking around ANA and United sites and it looks like all availability is gone for this route the week of new year. Anyone know if this is this a bug or is this route really that popular that week?

AA_EXP09, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this route seems to be always very popular.:)

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taipei and Tokyo are two damn fine cities!:)

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you looking at those two airports? Look at tsa-hnd instead.

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/06/an-airport-named-after-the-tsa-in-taiwan/

AA_EXP09, misterbwong and uggboy like this.
  5. misterbwong

Status Points:
    I wish :( I would actually prefer the HND-TPE route but I'm trying to book this as part of an LAX-Taiwan(stop)-Japan trip with US miles in C. Unfortunately both LAX->TSA and TSA->HND are filled (unless I'm using the ANA tool incorrectly). LAX->TPE and NRT-LAX aren't problems. It's just getting from TPE->NRT that is a problem haha. Any ideas?

AA_EXP09, uggboy and jetsetboy like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for lax-tsa....no one operates that route. You'd need to arrive at TPE, then after your stopover, try to depart from tsa (assuming tsa is more convenient for you).

Are you looking for flights during the week of jan 1-7, 2013 to fly Taipei to Tokyo? That is your constraint?

misterbwong, AA_EXP09 and uggboy like this.
  7. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame they couldn't have just expanded Songshan airport (TSA) when they needed more space, because it is one of the most convenient airports in the world for access to a large city. At least the shuttle buses between TPE and the city itself are really cheap.

misterbwong, AA_EXP09 and uggboy like this.
  8. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not fly out of HND to LAX?
    Have you tried connections via ICN on OZ/TG?

uggboy, misterbwong and jetsetboy like this.
  9. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Pretty much. My ideal itinerary would be Dec 29 LAX ->Taiwan, Jan 3 Taiwan -> Japan, Jan 12 Japan -> LAX all in C. TSA is definitely more convenient but it seems like it's difficult to get. I'm even thinking about topping up to F but not sure if I can swing the extra $$ :(

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  10. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you're being bitten by the holiday season. Airlines have probably blocked much of the award space for such a popular route during that time.

uggboy and misterbwong like this.
  11. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Yea looks like it :(

Thanks for everyone's help! I had no idea this route was so popular!

uggboy and jetsetboy like this.
  12. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TPE-HKG route is very popular also. The 1st time I flew it I was quite surprised. It's only a 1hr 15min flight, yet 777s and other double-aisle aircraft are used. And they're very often fully booked!

uggboy likes this.
  13. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    TG will start to fly TPE-HKG non-stop in mid October. But no award seat is available now

14. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taiwan to Japan is a very popular route. You always want to make sure you get those awards in very early due to the heavy traffic from business travelers during non-holiday season and leisure travelers during holiday season.

You're best option will likely be to pay the $400 or so for a coach ticket and doing an open jaw award. Even my buddy who is going in a few weeks with that same basic itinerary had trouble finding award space from Taiwan to Japan.

15. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea what type of aircraft TG will be using?

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking for paid or award setting? When you say "extra $$," it made me wonder.

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where Taipei lags in terms of hotels, they make it up with plenty of wide bodies for short regional flights!

18. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, lol. However Taipei (and Taiwan in general) has quite a few boutique hotels that are really nice, but just not part of a major chain. There are also some great short or long term apartment rental units.

uggboy likes this.
  19. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Extra $ to buy some points to top off the award (US). I only wish I could afford F out of pocket :p

After all this checking, we're contemplating skipping TPE altogether or maybe switching over to ICN instead. We shall see...

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  20. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Was going to post the same thing. There are some very well located botique hotels in Taipei. Here's one that looked nice and had a good location: http://www.hotel-quote.com/

uggboy and jetsetboy like this.
  21. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That does look like a nice place! It's a little north though of most of Taipei's attractions, but the transportation system is so good that it shouldn't matter.

uggboy likes this.
  22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a quick search of CI flight award seats for the first week in January on the tsa-hnd route. They had multiple economy awards available on several nonstop flights each day during that first week of January.

While I know you were keen to sit in front, and obviously you cannot use US points for CI flights, if you have a compelling reason to go to Taipei, I suspect you'd find economy award availability up to HND on NH at least one or two days that week.

I flew NH y a few months ago and was quite pleased. http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/02/p...nomy-wow-so-this-is-what-they-have-back-here/

23. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Thanks for looking this up! Actually I talked with the wife and we decided to buy some more points from US in order to get into UA F. The availability worked out reasonably well and I've always wanted to try F at least once. The only thing we weren't able to do was book NH Their service is superb the last time we flew with them. I'm hoping UA's F service can compare!

jetsetboy and uggboy like this.
  24. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    United's service can be hit-or-miss. When I flew United F on the TPE-NRT route I had a great crew with very nice personalities, engaging, very happy to make recommendations on some of the food and beverage options, etc. However, others have had a different experience, and in general, UA's service is not up to par with the Asian carriers' service. Additionally I think you'll like the hard product. United's updated 1st seat and IFE are excellent.

misterbwong likes this.
  25. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention that UA's F lounge at NRT, which is separate from the Biz lounge, is very nice as well.

misterbwong likes this.