TPAC and TATL on same award

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jmail1, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now I have a roundtrip award booked DFW-DPS using my MP miles. This is my first MP ticket and I'm trying to get a ruling on my chances of changing it to something that I don't think techincally allowed.

I was able to get one of the SQ F awards a few weeks back and I'm booked DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK-DPS on the outbound and DPS-BKK(3 day stopover)-HKG-SFO-IAH-DFW on the return.

The return is less than desirable because it involves a 4 hour layover in SFO followed by a redeye in domestic F on United, a two hour layover in IAH then a regional jet from IAH-DFW. I'm sure the 12 hours from HKG-SFO will be bliss, but the 10 hours that follows to get me back to DFW won't be.

My preferred routing home after the stopover in BKK would be BKK-FRA-DFW. There are midnight flights on TG and LH that would get me into FRA around 7:00am with a 10:00am direct flight from FRA-DFW. Total travel time would be about the same, but I'd get to spend a few hours in the FCT at Frankfurt and get a direct flight from FRA-DFW to finish the trip. I know it's the old F product, but that would beat the 10 hours I'd spend in layovers and domestic F.

The questions (I'm *A Gold through a status match if that matters) I know I'd need to make a return change BEFORE I took the DPS-BKK return leg. I do that 3 days before my scheduled BKK-DFW return.

Can I change my return to a TATL after I've departed given that my outbound was a TPAC? Is this a grey area that some agents allow/overlook or is this a hard and fast rule?

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. The only way to work that is if you booked your rewards as two one-ways.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially it is a rule. Reality is sometimes an agent will manually price it and not care.

4. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. WA, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your message to me, this was just to cast a wide net and see if anyone had personal experiences in the "grey."

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I can say I have ticketed and flown a miniRTW as recently as May. In my case it was booked with TPAC over and TATL back so I guess it is a little different than trying to change into it. It auto priced too for that matter. I don't know what would happen if you tried to change it, but my guess is it wouldn't hurt to ask.

A few other ideas. Have you looked to see if any space on the direct flight SFO-DFW has opened up? Would you mind flying AA or VX direct and just buying a one way and tossing the last leg away on the UA res?

6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The website was autopricing US-Asia bookings via the Atlantic and Pacific on the same itinerary as recently as this spring following the 3/3 integration. For a recent award, I flew EWR-MUC-FCO(stopover)-FRA-BKK-SIN(overnight)-DPS/DPS-BKK-FRA-JFK. I built it on the website in late March and was able to get it to ticket without any issues. One return routing offered on the site was DPS-SIN-SYD in SQ J followed by SYD-LAX-JFK in UA F. I was tempted, but elected to go with TG in F BKK-FRA and SQ J FRA-JFK (changed on July 9 ;)) since I thought the TG flights + a long layover at the Royal First Lounge at BKK were a better proposition than SQ regional J to SYD then UA F the rest of the way home.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes the website will price it, but officially an award that crosses both oceans on the same PNR must be booked in the RTW category. YMMV.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    When playing agent roulette, better to look for ex UA or an ex Con?

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably ex-Con, who should theoretically be familiar with PMCO's more liberal award routing rules. Most of the time, former CO agents will just call the rate desk when an itinerary won't autoprice, and as long as your proposal isn't egregiously out of bounds, they'll come back with a ticketed reso. Legacy UA agents sometimes take a little convincing to even build the itinerary, since the old Mileage Plus program had more defined routing restrictions (MPM+).

9. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked into that, but given that we're landing around 8pm the only option would be a redeye, and that means American. Unfortunately being the day after labor day those tickets are about $500 each right now, plus I'd still have the four hour layover and a domestic seat (probably coach)

The consensus seems to be that I'll have a decent chance of an agent making it happen if the flights become available. The availability will of course be the hard part given that I'm forced to booked 4 days out rather than day of or day before.

10. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reporting back. Was able to successfully reticket into a mini-RTW with no questions asked. Unfortunately was not able to snag the whole thing in F yet. Got BKK-FRA on TG in F, but FRA-DFW is only in C right now.