Tours for the Younger Traveler

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jan 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tours for the Younger Traveler

The New York Times
    January 14, 2014

This article describes adventure travel tours set up to entice/target the 18-30 year old traveler. Much of the article describes Yomads (from "Young Nomads"), created by Dutch adventure travel company SNP.

Read the entire article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/travel/tours-for-the-younger-traveler.html

uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting :) Nomenclature aside, the labeling is misleading. You can only be a nomad, if you have pocket full of monies - The act of taking months, or even years off implies no worries of paying off student loans etc.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, anileze, you have a good point! It would be sad indeed if no student/young professional could take time off from their studies/work to travel. Obviously, the tours described are set up to make a profit for those conducting them. But, I suspect that we (and very many Milepointers) have travelled the world, and never been on such a tour! ;)

A good friend took a year off between high school and college, and between college and graduate school, and travelled throughout Europe and the Mideast. That was some time ago (he visited Afghanistan when it was a sleepy country!), but, I'd suggest that there's no stopping the adventurous young traveler from hitting the international trail, and that one needn't be a "trust fund baby" to do so! :)

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    True ! My last summer off (Joys of being a TA) was after 1st year of Grad School. That was nearly three decades ago :) With two weeks a year vacation, subsequently, one has to be creative in traveling.

There are certain travel concepts which are rather alien to travelers in the US - Gap year is one of them. And, not all gap-year type tourists are emotionally and cognitively "fit" to step out of their neighborhoods, let alone do a trip around the world :D

Newscience likes this.
  5. thetraveltourist

thetraveltourist New Member

Status Points:
    I wish I had taken the time to travel when I was younger, I don't think it matters how you do it and there is so much opportunity now that it really doesn't take that much money. If you are young and think you want to travel them just do it, life is really short and traveling is one of the joys that we can all find so go do it.;)

Newscience likes this.